A Simple Running Log

February 6, 2018

Training for 2/6/18

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:11 pm

WELL. That did not go at all like I’d hoped! I’m back from San Diego, which was not the fun little vacation with a 10K in the middle I’d expected. Instead, I ripped up the hell out of several parts of my body and then came down with a stomach virus that caused a DNS on the race.

Warning: This post contains some gross pictures of the aftermath of my first running wipeout on pavement. If you’re squeamish about blood, you might want to scroll on by. I didn’t take any pictures of the aftermath of the stomach virus though haha. You’re welcome.

It wasn’t all a disaster. The flight out Wednesday morning was smooth and we were at our hotel by 1 p.m. local time. They didn’t have our room ready yet, so we left our luggage behind the front desk and walked to the nearest place for lunch, Kansas City Barbecue — filming location of the “sleazy bar scene” in Top Gun.

Clark’s coworker Bart flew in from Atlanta, arriving a couple hours after we did. We stopped by a Stone Brewing tasting room, then went back to the hotel so Clark and I could get into our room. After a shower and a change of clothes, we went back out to try some more local breweries Clark picked out: Societie Brewing Company (where I met a Pomeranian named Yoda who was about to celebrate his ninth birthday — happy birthday, Yoda!); Mikkeller Brewing; and finally… well, damn. I can’t remember now ha. I know there was another one.

me at mikkeller

Me at Mikkeller. No wonder I can’t remember where we went next.

Thursday morning, I didn’t feel too good. Don’t worry, it wasn’t the stomach virus yet. Just a good old-fashioned hangover. I ate some breakfast in the hotel lobby with Clark and Bart before they left for the customer meeting that qualified it as a business trip. I felt a little worse after I ate though, so instead of going out for my long run when they left, I went back to bed for a bit.

After my nap, I decided to knock out what was left of the hangover with a run. By that time, it was late enough in the morning that the Embarcadero along the bay was teeming with tourists, so I had to dodge a lot of walkers. But it was a perfect day and a beautiful place to run.

thursday run

Marina Park.

After 4.6 miles at just under a 9:00/mile average pace, I called it good. Dunkin’ Donuts is relatively new in California, but we happened to be staying in a hotel with one in the lobby, so I got my favorite iced coffee on the way back up to our room.

Clark and Bart got back from their meeting and we walked down to the Gaslamp Quarter, where we spent the afternoon. I still wasn’t feeling quite up to drinking — plus I didn’t want to wind up feeling the next morning like I had that morning — so I eased back into it. We started at Searsucker, then Half Door Brewing Company and finally went to the rooftop bar at a hotel to watch the sunset over Point Loma.

thursday sunset

Clark had a whole itinerary in Little Italy planned for the evening, but when we stopped by the hotel after the sunset, he went to sleep and could not be woken up for anything haha. So I just went across the street to what used to be the San Diego Police Headquarters, but is now full of restaurants and shops, and had my first Hawaiian poke bowl (pretty similar to sushi, just not wrapped up into rolls.)

Friday morning, I felt fine when I woke up. Bart had left early that morning to fly home, so it was just Clark and me for the rest of the weekend. We had breakfast in the hotel again. He had some work to do on his laptop, so I left him there and went out to do my long run for the week, a 12-miler.

FYI — this is where the kinda gross pictures come in.

The run went just fine for the most part. It was slow, because I kept having to stop to check the map on my phone to see where I was, wait to cross streets or, when I got to Balboa Park, basically hike up a cliffside, but I was steadily moving along and seeing a lot of the city.

Then, I was heading back toward the bay, when I came up on a section of the sidewalk that was randomly replaced by a planter with a couple of trees in it. The road there was really busy, so instead of stepping into the road to go around the planter, I went through the gas station parking lot on the other side of it.

And that was when it happened. I did not see a random speed bump in the parking lot, but I sure felt my right foot catch it, and the next thing I knew I was hurtling face-first to the pavement.

I managed to catch myself before I busted out all my teeth at least. My water bottle, which had been in my left hand, and my phone, which had been in my right, went flying. I blurted out “WOW,” grabbed my stuff and hopped right up and started running again. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. A guy standing right next to where I fell didn’t even seem to notice haha. A woman walking through the intersection I’d been running toward asked if I was OK. I said I was, I just didn’t see the… thing. She said, “The speed bump?” Sure.

I ran a couple minutes further before the adrenaline wore off and I realized how bad both of my palms and my right leg hurt. I stopped to survey the damage. Blood and dirt. Great!

Once I made it back to the bay, I was back on the Embarcadero. There was a public bathroom, so I stopped in there to clean out the wounds on my hands at least. When I came out of the bathroom, I recognized the T-shirt of the runner passing. It was Clark, so I joined him.

I wasn’t at 12 miles yet but I’d had enough. We ran back to the hotel. I’d done 10 miles at a 10:23/mile average (told you it was slow.)

Back in the room, I surveyed the damage.

My right leg, which I’d basically just skidded on:

leg injury

There was another patch of road rash up near my butt cheek.

My right hand wasn’t too bad, but my left one definitely took the brunt of the fall:

hand wound

Boy did that one hurt! The shower was awful, but I had to get everything cleaned out. Then we went to a CVS to get some Neosporin and Band-Aids.

Bart had extended his car rental for a few hours so Clark and I could take it up to Carlsbad that afternoon to pick up our race shirts and bibs for the Cardiff Kook Run 10K on Sunday morning.

We drove up there next, first stopping at Barrel Republic for lunch. It’s a self-serve taphouse with 52 beers on tap. They give you a little wristband with a chip, and you wave it over a sensor near the tap before you pour to track how much you get. Then you pay when you leave. It was a pretty cool place.

Packet pick-up was at a Road Runner Sports, and took no time.

It was getting close to time to return the car, so we headed back down to San Diego. We stopped at a gas station to fill it up first. It turned out to be the same gas station where I’d tripped and wiped out earlier haha.

speed bumps

Random planter blocking the sidewalk, pointless speed bumps.

After we turned in the car, we walked to Little Italy to hit a couple of the places we hadn’t made it to the night before.

We always have to go to Ballast Point.

Clark and me at ballast point

And then we had dinner at Bencotto Italian Kitchen, which was as good as Clark made it out to be. We had fried squash blossoms and a cheese plate, and I got squid ink gnocchi with shrimp. Then we split an Italian flan.

We were both full after that, and called it a night.

Saturday morning, I didn’t feel great when I woke up, but I didn’t feel as bad as I had Thursday morning. I thought I was just a little hungover.

We went downstairs for breakfast and I had a normal breakfast. But when we got back to the room, I started feeling worse and worse.

Long story short, I spent the next nearly nine hours throwing up every 45 minutes to an hour thanks to a stomach bug. Of course, after I’d gotten rid of breakfast, it was just dry heaving, or what little bit of liquids I’d swallowed.

It was pretty awful. I sent Clark out because No. 1, I didn’t want him to get sick too, and No. 2, it’s boring sitting around listening to someone retch. So I spent the whole afternoon lying in bed waiting for the next round to strike.

Around 3:30 p.m., I did the adult thing and called my mommy to complain haha. I also threw in the story of my wipeout the day before. She was every bit as sympathetic as you need your mom to be in that situation. Thanks, Mom!

I think I finally puked for the last time around 4:30. By that time, I knew there was no way I was running that stupid race in the morning. At least we’d picked up what were essentially $60 T-shirts beforehand. (P.S. I’d never pay that much for a 10K around here, but that’s kinda the norm in that area.)

Clark came back and said I was looking much better. I’d stopped puking and was finally keeping water down again, but I still didn’t feel great. I stayed in that night. All I ate was some of the mint chocolate chip ice cream Clark brought me from the Baskin Robbins attached to the Dunkin’ Donuts downstairs.

Sunday morning, I ate a little raisin bran and a banana for breakfast. That stayed settled, so Clark and I went out to try to enjoy our last day in San Diego.

We went to Old Town State Park first and walked around a bit. Then we went to the North Park section of town. There were breweries and restaurants serving more beer EVERYWHERE. We went to Tiger!Tiger! first, where we watched some of the Puppy Bowl (which needed a weimaraner haha.) Then we stopped by Rip Current Brewing. They had a collection of old beer cans. This was my favorite:

schmidt slalom skiing

A Schmidt on a water ski. How appropriate.

We had lunch at Crazee Burger, where Clark had an ostrich burger and I had about half of a camel burger. I still hadn’t gotten my appetite back, but where else am I gonna get a chance to eat a freaking camel? By the way, it tasted like beef.

Our next stop was the San Diego Coin-Op, a bar with a bunch of old arcade games.

Then we went to Mike Hess Brewing, where we saw the first half of the Super Bowl (it’s so weird to watch it on the West Coast, where it starts at 3:30 in the afternoon.) At halftime, we made our way to Waypoint Public.

By the time we got to the last place, I wasn’t feeling so good. Not like I was going to puke again or anything, but I did not have an appetite, beer didn’t sound good and I did not feel like sitting in public smelling other people’s fried food and booze. I had to tap out.

We headed back to the hotel and watched the end of the game there, then wound up falling asleep, which was probably for the best, as we had a very early flight out the next morning.

Yesterday, we were up at 4:30 a.m. Pacific time and back in Baltimore by 2:30 p.m. Eastern time. It felt really good to get home and see Pepper again! Even when he farted non-stop all night haha.

So vacation is over and it’s time to get back on track. I still didn’t have much of an appetite yesterday, but I felt a little more like eating today, and I think I’ll be OK to do a short easy run. Technically, I’m supposed to do 10 today, but I’ll save that for tomorrow.

I need to get my butt back on track — I’ve got a 50K in FOUR days!

Speaking of Pepper — our mail carrier just stopped up here to ask if there’s a reason he’s so skinny, because she saw him earlier today when she dropped off our mail (for some reason he was drinking from a puddle at the end of the lane, instead of from his bowl of clean water in the house??) and she wanted to check before she called animal control to report neglect! I told her about his kidney disease. He really is looking skinnier and skinnier lately. I was hoping it was just my imagination but I guess not.


  1. Damn Gina! You really had a rough go, AND while on vacation 😦 That really stinks. That was some sweet road rash though. Hope it heals up quickly! (((HUGS))) to you guys

    Comment by Chris Bouldin — February 6, 2018 @ 2:56 pm | Reply

    • At this point, my left hand is the only wound that still really hurts, and you don’t need your hands to run thankfully haha.

      Comment by aschmid3 — February 6, 2018 @ 3:01 pm | Reply

  2. Damn. Quite a trip (Dad joke). At least your disgusting left hand wound is heart shaped. ❤️

    Comment by runeatralph — February 7, 2018 @ 8:28 am | Reply

    • Haha dad jokes are always appropriate!

      Comment by aschmid3 — February 7, 2018 @ 9:42 am | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: