A Simple Running Log

October 30, 2017

Seawitch Fall 5K Classic recap

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 8:03 am

Saturday morning, I slept in, and then ran an easy lap around the 4.5-mile loop. Later that morning, one of Clark’s coworkers picked us up, and we went up to the University of Maryland for the Maryland-Indiana football game.

When I was a student at Maryland, I never saw an entire football game. I was all about the tailgating.

Well, I may have graduated 11 years ago, but I sure haven’t matured much since then, because once again, I spent way more time downing beers in the parking lot than watching football. I think we saw about 15 minutes total of the game.

I won’t embarrass Clark too much here, but I’ll just say I wasn’t the reason we left early haha.

Anyway, it wasn’t too late when we got home, just after 8 p.m. That was fine with me, because we had to be up early Sunday morning for the Seawitch 5K in Rehoboth.

This race is part of the weekend-long Seawitch Festival held every year right before Halloween.

The weather for Saturday’s activities was perfect. Unfortunately, a big storm system rolled in overnight. It wasn’t raining when I got up Sunday morning, but it started about five minutes later, and it never let up.

Clark and Pepper were less than enthusiastic about getting out of bed to go run a 5K in the pouring rain. I didn’t care though. I’d already paid to register and bought the costumes. There was no way I was going to let a little drizzle get in my way.

Yes — the costumes. Halloween costumes are strongly encouraged for this race, so a few weeks ago, Clark and I settled on a theme for us and Pepper.

We got to Grove Park in Rehoboth about a half-hour ahead of the race start time. I got our bibs and event shirts, then ran back to the truck so we could all get dressed and bibbed up.

With everything in place, we made our way to the starting line. We started near the back, since Pepper can be a bit of a disaster.

We got the starting commands and took off. Clark, Pepper and I were among the last 5K runners to cross the line:

2017 seawitch 5k start

Pepper looks SO EMBARRASSED haha! Like he’s checking to make sure no one he knows is watching.

We started making our way through the pack. Pepper was being ridiculous. He would not run in a straight line; he kept circling around me to look at Clark.

A half-mile into the run, he stopped to take a dump in someone’s front yard. I’d remembered to a bring a bag this time at least, so I cleaned it up and threw it away in someone else’s trash can.

My stupid cap wouldn’t stay on my head either. I’d stapled some Under Armour headbands to them, to use as a chin strap. Clark’s seemed to work OK, but mine didn’t work at all. It kept sliding off the back of my head. That was annoying.

We made our way through the course. Pepper eventually settled down, but every now and then, he’d stop to pee on something, or circle around me to personally check in on Clark.

The wetter Pepper’s costume got, the harder it was to keep it on him too. It was slipping to one side or the other the whole way. We stopped once to try to readjust it, but that didn’t help much.

As we came to the last turn, I held my cap in place so I could at least look like a complete mustard bottle for the photographer at the finish line:

2017 seawitch 5k finish

2017 seawitch 5k finish group

I crossed the line in 29:41; Clark’s chip time was a few seconds faster.

We hung around a bit for the awards. I didn’t think either of us had placed in our age groups, but there were some awards for best costumes. Ketchup, mustard and a soggy hot dog were not among the winners haha. Oh well.

It’s too bad the weather didn’t cooperate, but I still really enjoyed being dorks and running in costume with Clark and Pepper!

We headed home, took some hot showers and spent the rest of the day being lazy, watching the NASCAR race and then Game 5 of the World Series.

That was the last race I’ll run before Richmond, now less than two weeks away! We got our bib numbers last week. I’m 911.

The mileage on my training plan takes a dive this week. The longest run I’ve got left is an 8-miler next weekend. No more double digits until race day.

Today is an easy 4-miler. The rain is gone, but it’s cold and windy out there.


  1. It’s almost time for us to kick Richmond’s butt. See you there!

    Comment by runeatralph — October 30, 2017 @ 8:57 am | Reply

    • Can’t wait!!

      Comment by aschmid3 — October 30, 2017 @ 10:51 am | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: