A Simple Running Log

July 10, 2017

Training for 7/10/17

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 11:04 am

Saturday morning, I went out for a lap around the 4.5-mile loop. It was pretty warm and humid, and I still wasn’t 100 percent after donating blood Thursday, but it went about as well as it could have. After 1.5 miles, I had to take some walk breaks, whenever my breathing got out of control.

That afternoon, I met a bunch of my family at the Choptank marina to go out on the PARTY BARGE! Dave got it running again!

It was a great day for water skiing too. We rode up the river to the section that’s always glass-smooth. We beached it for a little bit to eat lunch and let Kaylee look for shells, and then we went out to ski.

As soon as Dave restarted it, he said it was running hotter than he liked and wouldn’t cool off. But he wasn’t too worried about it yet, so I was the first one out to ski.

It took me a few tries to get up — the first ski rope handle broke in my hands as soon the boat took off, and the second time I just let it pull me too far forward — but I got it on the third try. It was fun but quickly exhausting! Skiing is definitely something you have to do more than once every four years.

me on ski

Kasey took some pictures of me on the ski.

After I got worn out and dropped off, Wes was going to go out next, but the boat was REALLY running hot, so we decided to just head back to the marina. A minute up the river, the engine cut off and steam started pouring out from under the cover. Uh oh.

There was one oar on board (??) so Dave used that, and Corey and Wes used skis to help row the boat toward another beach. Dave took off the cover and started tinkering on the engine while the rest of us looked out for passing boats to flag down, assuming we’d most likely need a tow back to the marina.


Isn’t this how Gilligan’s Island started?

working on it

Uncle Lee put “Found On (the) River Dead” on the back of the boat years ago. This was not the first time it left us!

It was a solid 45 minutes before the first boat came by. I guess everyone went out for Fourth of July last weekend and were all boated-out this past weekend. We flagged them down and they were more than willing to tow us back to Choptank.

Dave said he thought he might have it fixed enough to get back on our own, so the guy in the other boat gave Dave his cell number and said to give him a call if our boat died again.

They went up the river, and we started heading down it toward Choptank. For a couple of minutes, it seemed like it was going to make it, but then Dave said the temperature shot up again, so he shut it down and called the other guy.

tow boat

Getting towed.

When we got back to the marina, the guy in the other boat waved off Dave’s attempts to give him some cash as a thank-you. He said anyone who’s had a boat has been in that position, including himself, and there’s always someone willing to help. Very true! Boats can be such a pain in the ass.

So that was disappointing. We got the boat loaded back on the trailer, and I headed home. Pepper was at least really excited our afternoon got cut short!

Later that afternoon, I finally went out and cut our grass. I stayed in that night and watched the NASCAR race from Kentucky.

Sunday, I stayed up after I fed Pepper his breakfast. I should’ve gone straight out to run the 9.5-miler I wanted to do, but, of course, I didn’t. It was around 9 a.m. when I finally went out.

It was actually a pretty nice day for a run though. The humidity was down all the way to 60-something percent, which is about as good as it ever gets in the summer here.

I put Roctane in my water bottle, and once again, NO DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS. That stuff is 2-for-2! I hope it keeps working as the runs get longer and the weather gets hotter.

Anyway, the run was OK. I got home and showered real quick, then met my friends for lunch to celebrate a birthday. When I got home that afternoon, I stayed in the rest of the day and evening with Pepper.

Dave said he thinks he knows what’s wrong with the boat engine. If we all chip in, it should be affordable enough to warrant fixing. Hopefully the Party Barge will be back on the river soon.

This morning, Richmond Marathon training officially began! I had strength training and an easy 3-miler on the schedule.

I actually went upstairs and did the strength training first — ab exercises, push-ups, invisible chair-sitting and lifting the adjustable dumbbells. And then I ran the 3-miler. It hadn’t gotten too bad out there yet when I ran late this morning, but it’s supposed to get really hot again this week, so I’m going to have to get better about running first thing again.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: