A Simple Running Log

April 24, 2017

Training for 4/24/17

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:19 pm

Friday, my younger sister and I went to Busch Gardens for the day. We left a little later than intended, and then had to drive through Salisbury instead of around it after someone had a bad enough accident on the bypass that it was closed completely, but we were in the park by 11 a.m., an hour after it’d opened.

It was only April, but it felt like the middle of summer, sunny and nearly 90 degrees in the afternoon. Unlike summer though, there was hardly anyone there, other than several school groups, so the lines for almost all the rides were basically nil.

That meant we sailed through the list of rides we wanted to hit. By noon, we’d knocked off three roller coasters — The Loch Ness Monster, Apollo’s Chariot and my first new-to-me coaster of the day, Tempesto.

me with the loch ness monster

Me at the entrance to The Loch Ness Monster.

loch ness monster and alpengeist

Interlocking loops on The Loch Ness Monster and part of Alpengeist as seen from a dock over the river.

Since it was so hot, we also hit the water rides. We rode Escape from Pompeii and Roman Rapids before we took a break for lunch.

We got brisket from Trapper’s Smokehouse, which we ate while listening to people scream high above us at the top of the first drop on Griffon.

Right after lunch, we eased back into the rides. We did Le Scoot, a log flume and the third water ride in the park, and then got in line for Invadr, the park’s newest roller coaster, a wooden one that just opened two weeks earlier. It was the first roller coaster we had to wait in a bit of a line to ride, but it moved quickly.

flume and two coasters

Le Scoot drop in the middle, Alpengeist to the left and Invadr to the right.

Then we went to ride Griffon. After watching that first drop so many times while we were eating, I was a little nervous about it. It’s a dive coaster; the train dangles at the top of the first 90-degree hill for five or six seconds before it drops, so if you’re sitting in the front row, you’re just hanging there, looking straight down at the ground 205 feet below.

It was the only roller coaster we rode on the front row, but the wait wasn’t too long, because the trains are laid out weird; they’re three rows of 10, so the line for the front moved 10 people at a time.

It turned out to be quite a ride, and definitely my favorite of the day. That first drop was so much fun! But it did feel like we’d gotten stuck up there, it seemed to hang for so long before letting us go.

griffon at top of hill

Train dangling at the top of the hill.

griffon coming down hill

Going down!

julie and me with griffon

Julie and me in front of Griffon.

We rode Verbolten next, another new one for me. A lot of the ride is inside a building. Apparently there are three different “stories” shown through the lights they flash in the building as you’re going through it. The coolest part was when the train stopped, in the pitch black, and then it felt like the track fell away and the whole train dropped down. After it left the building, the final drop was the same one over the river that used to be on The Big Bad Wolf, the roller coaster Verbolten replaced.

The last ride of the day was Alpengeist. That thing is already 20 years old! Time flies.

Anyway, it was fun as always, but when that one was over, I was ready to be done with roller coasters. We’d just ridden seven coasters, plus three water rides, in less than five hours. It was nice not having to wait in lines, but I think we could’ve spaced them out a little more.

Julie said she’d had enough too, so we got some ice cream, did a little browsing in the gift shops and then hit the road around 5:30 p.m.

julie on horse

Julie telling me to hurry up and take her picture, because she’d just noticed the sign saying only little kids were supposed to be on that horse haha.

I was driving Julie’s car, cruising in the farthest left lane on a four-lane highway, which was separated from the four lanes going the other direction by a 2-foot concrete jersey barrier. We hadn’t gotten very far when something in the rearview mirror caught my eye. At first I thought someone had blown a tire behind us, but then I realized it was an SUV JUMPING THE BARRIER from the other side of the highway! It landed behind us in the lane we were in and barrel-rolled down the road. Pieces were flying off of it and cars behind us were scattering to avoid it. It was insane! It looked like something from an in-car camera during a NASCAR race at Talladega or Daytona.

I think Julie got kinda freaked out by the mere few seconds that had separated us from getting landed on by a flying SUV, but then we got stuck in a traffic back-up and got passed by a guy creeping down the shoulder of the road on a tire so destroyed the rim was on the pavement, which made us laugh.

The rest of the ride home was uneventful. When I got home a little after 10, Clark was drinking beer. I had a couple with him and then fell asleep on the couch. I was beat.

Saturday, I slept in until almost 10 a.m. And when I finally got up, I still felt exhausted. I don’t remember riding roller coasters taking so much out of me, but then again, I wasn’t so damn old the last time I did that.

I spent most of the day lazing about on the couch, while Clark went to Cambridge to swim and run. When he got back, I went out for a run myself.

The weather had undergone quite a change since the day before. It was chilly, gray and drizzly. I decided to save the long run for the next day, and just did an easy lap around the 5.5-mile loop.

Sunday, it had stopped raining, but it was still on the cool and cloudy side. Late in the morning, I went out to do my long run.

I wore the Garmin to try to practice the 8:46/mile pace I’m running for the 1:55 pace group at the half marathon this coming weekend.

It went better than last week’s attempt. I finished the 12.3-mile loop in 1:46 and change, an 8:38/mile pace. A little fast, but better than a little slow.

Oh, and Clark signed up for that marathon Saturday night, and said he might run with my pace group, so that would be cool.

Sunday night, we had tickets for the last beer dinner at the original Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth. Clark’s parents took Pepper for the night, because we were pretty sure we were going to have to get a room within walking distance and stay there. We both got hammered at the last beer dinner we went to, and we didn’t have a driver with us this time.

Dogfish Head’s founder, Sam, his family and several long-time employees were the guests of honor at the dinner. Before it started, Sam came around and talked to everyone there, which was nice of him. I asked him how it felt, being that close to seeing the original building get leveled. He said it was just starting to hit him. It looks like the last day that building will serve customers is May 7, and the new one will host an opening party June 2.

The dinner was excellent.

last beer dinner menu

The menu.

After it wrapped up, Clark and I went downstairs and hung out there until last call.

clark at dogfish head


me at dogfish head

And me.

When the place closed, we walked to the nearest hotel that didn’t have a No Vacancy sign to get a room.

The lobby was deserted when we walked in, and a handwritten sign on the counter said “be right back.” So we stood and waited. A few minutes later, this woman came stumbling down a hall toward us, using the walls to hold herself up. At first I thought she was the receptionist, but she came to our side of the counter, got very close to me and started talking about how she’d had to wait four hours for someone to help her the last time she came to the lobby. Next thing I knew, she was holding my hand. It was so weird!

She wandered back down the hall, so I called the hotel, hoping the ringing phone would summon the actual receptionist. A much more sober woman came out from the back office. While she was getting us checked in, that woman came back, this time with a guy. Clark and I got out of there before anyone tried to hold my hand again haha.

Anyway, once we made it to the room, everything was fine. We got up this morning and came home.

Today, I have an easy 3-miler and strength training on the schedule.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: