A Simple Running Log

December 19, 2016

Training for 12/19/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 1:23 pm

I had a pretty slack weekend, as far as running went.

Saturday morning, we woke up to a delightful freezing rain falling. Clark laughed when I asked if he still wanted to go do the 5K in St. Michaels we’d signed up for. But I’d told TK I’d be there, so I put on an ugly Christmas sweater and put Pepper’s on him, and we headed out.

As soon as we stepped outside, Pepper found the back steps were coated in ice, when he launched himself face-first into the handrail because he was sprinting around like a lunatic, like he always does when he’s about to go for a ride. Didn’t even faze him though. He bounced off it and slid down the steps, and as soon as his feet found traction on the ground, he took off again.

The roads were totally fine, fortunately, so I had no problem making the roughly 45-minute drive. By the time we got to St. Michaels though, what had been a drizzle at home had turned into more of a deluge. It also wasn’t warming up as quickly as they’d predicted; at race time, it was still right around freezing.

So few people showed up, there was enough parking for all of us in the tri shop’s lot, so at least we didn’t have to trudge through the rain from the elementary school, where we’d had to park last year.

TK, her sister Kari and Kari’s dog, Lucille, got there right about when Pepper and I did. I handed off my unwrapped toy donations (the race was free, but they asked everyone to bring a toy) and put down 22:52 for my prediction (anyone who got within 10 seconds of their predicted time was a winner.)

They held off on the 9 a.m. race start a few minutes in case some people had gotten held up because of the weather (apparently a couple bridges had been closed overnight in Wicomico County for some reason.) Not that any of us were complaining. I don’t think anyone was excited to go run in the freezing rain.

Eventually they asked us to head out to the starting line, across the street and down a block. At that point, the rain had tapered off a bit, but it was still coming down hard enough that Pepper turned to give me a look that said, “Really? This is what we’re doing?”

Turns out there were 24 runners. Last year, this run had 80 finishers, and I know there were way more than 24 pre-registrants. I guess when it’s free, people don’t feel so obligated to show up when the weather sucks.

Anyway, the course was the same as last year: two short out-and-backs along cul-de-sacs in a small development, another short out-and-back on the paved bike path in one direction, and then a final longer out-and-back along the bike path in the other direction.

We got an informal “go!” from one of the tri shop guys, and we were off. Pepper gave me one last look, to make sure he was actually supposed to follow the people who’d taken off in front of us, and then he reluctantly started trotting after them.

Twenty feet later, we hit the first ice patch on the course. I guess the side street through the development hadn’t been treated like all the main roads. Everyone tip-toed over that, but there was plenty more where that came from.

At the first turnaround, Pepper took an enormous dump along the edge of a little grove of planted trees in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Awesome. Once again, I hadn’t thought to bring along a bag in case he did that (he never does that when I do remember a bag), so I covered it with the rocks lining the mulch so no one would step in it.

We took off again. I’m sure Pepper felt a lot lighter after dropping that load haha.

The rest of the run was OK. There was a lot of ice on the bike path, which I slowed for every time. I wasn’t about to fall and bust my ass. Pepper also kept stopping to pee on stuff. Not just little spritzes either — long drenches every time. I don’t know where he holds it all!

The rain also picked back up again as we were running. It was absolutely pouring by the time Pepper and I made it to the finish line, in 25:33 — by far the slowest 5K either of us have ever run, and waaay off my prediction, once again.

We walked back to the tri shop. Kari’s dog had never run more than a mile in one go, and they didn’t feel like dealing with the ice any longer, so they’d cut short the final out-and-back and only finished about half of the distance. They were already warming up by the little fireplace in the back of the shop.

We didn’t hang around much longer. TK and Kari had to leave for a family thing, and Pepper and I were cold, soaked and miserable (and coated in a thin sheen of ice), so we left. I stopped at Dunkin’ Donuts for coffee, but other than that, we went straight home. For once, I think Clark had the right idea when he punked out on that run!

Anyway, that afternoon, we went to Salisbury. We stopped at a couple of breweries, 3rd Wave and Rubber Soul, and Best Buy, so Clark could finally get that iPod shuffle for his dad he’d been meaning to pick up for the past week. He also got his mom a Fitbit, and a ton of vinyl records — The Beatles, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Bruno Mars — which we stayed up listening to when we got home.

Sunday, it was 65 freaking degrees by late morning, but windy. I had a long run on the schedule, but I did not want to do it. So I didn’t. I really didn’t want to do anything, but I made a slow lap around the 4.5-mile loop and felt like I was dying the whole way. It was just one of those days.

The rest of the day was spent being lazy. Clark went in town that evening and bought a bunch of lightbulbs to finally replace all the burned-out ones around the house. Seriously, every light fixture around here that was supposed to have three or four bulbs was down to one. It’s so bright in here now!

And today, it’s back to below freezing, and still windy. Weather is so dumb. I’ve got an easy 3-miler and strength training on the schedule.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: