A Simple Running Log

September 12, 2016

Training for 9/12/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 10:04 am

Well, once again, I cut short runs this weekend, all because of the stupid heat. But it finally cooled down here overnight, and today I ran three times farther than I was supposed to because it felt good to run for once, so it almost evened out.

Saturday morning, I left the house around 7:30 with a full bottle of water/Gatorade, a salt cap and a GU. The plan was to run the 10.5-mile loop, taking the GU and salt cap halfway through and drinking the whole bottle, stop at the house to eat a second GU and refill the bottle and then run the 6.5-mile loop to get in all 17 miles of this week’s scheduled long run.

It was a great plan, except for the freaking weather. It was so hot and humid! It felt like the worst week of the summer all over again. I’d say the first four miles of the run went OK. I had to stop in the woods to use the bathroom two miles in, and then I had to run through all the vendors setting up their stuff for the Woodland Ferry Festival, but I was moving. But then I just crashed. I ate my GU and took my salt cap around mile 5.5 as planned, and I forced myself to finish the entire 10.5-mile loop, but it was slow and miserable.

When I got home, I knew there was no way I was going to go back outside and run another 6.5 miles in that mess. I peeled off all my sweat-soaked running clothes to rinse them out and hang them up to dry, but a curious thing happened — the water in my bathroom sink trickled off to nothing after about five seconds. Then I realized the ceiling fan in the bedroom wasn’t turning… yep, the damn power was out.

Apparently there was a tree down on a line. Great! Normally, I can cool off relatively quickly if I lie down under the ceiling fan in the living room, but obviously that wasn’t an option. It took forever to stop feeling like I was cooking myself from the inside out.

I get irrationally angry at the weather sometimes, mostly when it’s not doing what I think it should be doing based on the date. By Sept. 10, I expect it to be decent running weather first thing in the morning — it’s not like I waited until noon to run. I got up sorta early for a weekend, dammit, reward me! I was pretty pissed at the weather.

This also happens almost every year, about this time. It never cools off for good when I think it should.

Anyway, the power came back on maybe an hour after I got home. We spent the rest of the day being lazy. Saturday evening, TK came over and she, Clark, Pepper and I went to the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton. We had a couple beers there, bought some more beer and picked up a couple pizzas on the way home and watched the race. Mike and Natasha also came over.

It was pretty late when I finally went to bed. Sunday, I didn’t wake up until almost 7:30, too late to leave for that 5K in Lewes I’d thought about running. It was already 80 degrees and humid outside, so I didn’t really want to pay $25 to slog through that anyway.

It was another hour and a half or so before I got up the motivation to go out and run anything. I was supposed to do an 8-miler, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen. I told Clark  I was just going to do the 4.5-mile loop, and he told me I should at least run some intervals since I’d skipped the race. I said I’d see how I felt once I started running.

The first mile was horrible. I felt so out of breath, I almost turned around and nixed the whole thing. I finally started to settle in after that first mile. I was thinking there was no way I was going to put myself through intervals though.

But then I finished the second mile and felt decent, so I thought, why not? I started the chrono on my Timex and ran the same pyramid workout Clark and I ran together about a month ago — 30, 45, 60, 90, 60, 45 and 30 seconds of hard running, with a minute of recovery jogging between each. It wasn’t awful.

I had a bit less than a mile left of the 4.5-mile loop to run home easy for a cool down.

Yesterday afternoon, we went over to Julie’s house, specifically to commiserate with TK, who had officially broken up with her boyfriend of four and a half years that morning. I am truly shocked at the shit this guy pulled on her. I always liked him, and thought he was a good person, but it turned out he was a dick.

I also got to see Julie’s new house for the first time. It looks great!

She’s 16 weeks pregnant with her third kid, which she just found out is going to be her first girl. She’s very excited. So is her husband’s mom, who came up with this suggestion for a name: Laslie. It’s the last three letters of Julie’s husband’s name (Nicholas) and the last three letters of Julie’s name. Julie said she and Nick got the text at the same moment, both read it, looked at each other, didn’t say a word and just set their phones down without replying haha. LASLIE. It’s like Leslie for people who can’t spell!

After we left Julie’s, Clark, Pepper and I went to the pub in Denton. There was this large group sitting outside. One of the women, who seemed pretty drunk, insisted Pepper was a greyhound, even after we and several other people in the group told her he was a weimaraner.

We sat down at a different table. A little while later, she passed us on her way back to her table. She asked if Pepper was a bad runner.

Excuse me?? Pepper, a bad runner? Lady, he’s the BEST runner! He could run circles around you, me and everyone in this —

Then it dawned on me. She was still convinced he was a greyhound, one that had been adopted after its racing career ended haha. I told her for the third time he was a weimaraner and he’d never ran a dog race in his life. I still don’t think she got it.

We went home after that. Clark’s parents stopped by on their way home from the beach house to watch the Sunday night football game.

This morning, Clark left very early for a one-day business trip to Ohio. I woke up a couple hours later. When I opened the back door to let Pepper out after his breakfast, I almost teared up.

It felt like SEPTEMBER!

The stupid heat finally moved on, and it was in the low 60s this morning! I couldn’t get dressed fast enough!

I put Pepper in his harness, and instead of the 3-miler on the schedule, we did a lap of the 9.1-mile loop. It was delightful! And it’s supposed to be like this for the rest of the week. Finally!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: