A Simple Running Log

August 29, 2016

Training for 8/29/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 1:28 pm

This weekend didn’t go quite as planned, as far as running goes, but overall I had a good time.

Friday evening, we went down to the beach. We picked crabs and had chocolate cake for Clark’s grandmother’s birthday.

Saturday morning, Clark and I both wanted to get in some training, so we took turns staying at the house with Pepper while the other one was out. Clark went for a run first, and then I went for one.

Instead of running up Route 1 toward Bethany like I usually do, I ran up Route 54, toward Selbyville. Traffic coming into Fenwick wasn’t heavy yet at 7 a.m., and I got to run over a few bridges crossing the bay, so it made for a pretty route.

I was on my way back when dinner from the night before hit me. There are no woods along that route! I was starting to get nervous when I came up on an RV campground called Treasure Beach. Luckily, there was an open public bathhouse just off the road. Crisis averted!

The last two miles home were much more pleasant. I cut the run short since Clark was waiting on me. I did 6.1 miles.

When I got back, he left to ride his bike, so I took Pepper for a walk. First we went across the street to see the beach.

fenwick saturday morning

Not many people out yet at 8 a.m.

pepper on fenwick

“I hate it here!”

And then we walked down to Dunkin Donuts so I could get an iced coffee. Two women offered to hold onto Pepper while I went inside to order. I warned them he might get a little panicky, but every time I glanced out the window while I was in line, he was happy as could be, letting his two new best friends pet him and tell him how pretty he is haha. He didn’t look worried at all!

We spent the rest of Saturday at the house or on the beach. It was a pretty nice day for that.

gulls on fenwick

I kept trying to get a good picture of that seagull on the left, because it had its feather all fluffed up and was huffing at any other bird that came near it, but this was the best I got.

dogs chilling

Pepper and Snoopy hanging out in the house.

pepper and me as a dog

Fun with Samira’s Snapchat. I was hoping it’d put a dog face on Pepper too but it wouldn’t cooperate.

family portrait

Accurate haha.

canal at sunset

Looking up the canal at sunset.

Later, Chad, Samira, Clark and I went to Papa Grande’s. We had a couple drinks and split a huge plate of nachos. Then Clark decided to turn things up a notch, and ordered a round of shots of Don Julio Real — $49 a pop! I had to get a picture of $196 worth of tequila before it went down the hatch.

don julio real shots


Clark said it was very smooth, but it tasted like tequila to me.

Our next stop was Harpoon Hanna’s. The next thing I knew, it was Sunday morning and I definitely did not feel like running. So I didn’t.

Instead, I slept in until 10 a.m., and then Clark’s mom made us a huge breakfast of pancakes, French toast, eggs, bacon and fresh pineapple. That hit the spot.

After breakfast, we loaded two surfboards and both paddleboards on top of the Jeep and put a third surfboard in it, and then Chad, Samira, Clark and I drove down to Assateague to see what the waves were like there.

What the waves were like was rough! It was very choppy. I didn’t have a great time on my paddleboard. After a half hour of getting knocked around, I gave up, dragged the thing back to shore and took a nap.

I figured out why it felt so squirrely when I was standing though — the damn fin got ripped off. Again. I think it’s time to invest in one made of something tougher than plastic.

It was another nice day for laying on the beach, at least.


boards on assateague

All the crap we dragged down there… and then had to drag back.

clark on assateague

Clark avoiding as much sun exposure as possible.

clark and me at assateague

Man, these pictures were not capturing the surf conditions haha.

We loaded the Jeep back up and drove back to Fenwick. We had salad, steak and lemon meringue pie for dinner, before everyone but Clark and me (and Pepper, of course) went home. We stayed an extra night because supposedly there would be good surfing conditions at Indian River this morning.

Low tide, which is usually when the surfing is best, wasn’t until 11 a.m. today, so Clark wasn’t in a big hurry to get to the beach at dawn. I went for a run first thing.

I ran on Route 1 toward Bethany today. It was a good morning for a run, not too hot. And since it’s a weekday morning in late summer, there wasn’t too much traffic on the highway.

I did 6 miles that got progressively faster as I went along. I think my first mile was just under 9:00 and the last couple were around 8:00. I finished the whole run at an average pace of 8:16/mile, not too shabby.

When I got back from running, we headed up to Indian River.

The surf conditions weren’t quite what Clark was expecting. We sat on the beach for a while, hoping it would improve.

clark and pepper at indian river

It didn’t look like it was getting any better, but we’d driven all the way down there, so Clark went out anyway. He managed to catch a couple waves while Pepper and I sat in the sand.

pepper and me at indian river

So, kind of a bust for surfing, but still, not a bad way to spend a Monday morning.

We went back and straightened up the beach house, and now we’re home.

Hard to believe there’s only two days of August left, and this coming weekend is Labor Day already. The summer really flew by, just like it always does.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: