A Simple Running Log

July 26, 2016

Training for 7/26/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 8:44 am

Well, our air conditioning saga continues. The service guy got here late yesterday afternoon. He and Clark fiddled with the thing for an hour. Final conclusion: The compressor is dead, which means the entire system has to be replaced. We’re supposed to get a quote today, and then it’ll be installed sometime later this week.

In other words, it is still 9,000 degrees in our freaking house, and will be for the foreseeable future.

When Clark broke the news to me yesterday, I was already on the edge, having spent the entire day planted in front of a box fan that was putting out increasingly hot air (it hit 95 degrees in the living room), with a dog who seemed to think it would make it feel cooler if he breathed right in my face and slobbered all over me. The only thing keeping me sane was the thought the damn air conditioning would be back on by the evening.

So that didn’t help. And then Clark handed me a package that had come in the mail. I opened it and found… the cold weather thermal running tights I’d ordered last week.

I busted out laughing and flung them across the room. Those are the LAST thing I need right now!

Anyway, one of Clark’s coworkers had a brand new window unit he said we could borrow, so Clark picked it up and we installed it in our bedroom window. It’s not very big, so the bedroom is the only room in the house that’s inhabitable right now, but it’s better than nothing.

After we got that thing cranking, we went to Cambridge so we could eat dinner somewhere that wasn’t so hot it made it impossible to feel hungry.

pepper shifting arm

Except for the Jeep, all of our (running) vehicles have manual transmissions, but Pepper tries to rest his head on the driver’s right arm anyway. Then he gets annoyed when we shift. And yes, we both let Pepper sit in the front passenger seat when the other one’s driving.

We went to RAR Brewing’s tasting room, since they allow dogs inside, had a couple beers and got lobster rolls from Rock Lobstah across the street.

By the time we got home, the window unit had cooled down the bedroom, and we all went straight to bed.

Clark had to drive up to Pennsylvania today for work. I wouldn’t be able to take Pepper with me on my run, because it’d be too hot, and I wouldn’t be able to leave him home in the utility room, because it’d be too hot, or in the bedroom, because he’d definitely let himself out and leave the door open. So I got up at 5 a.m. to run before Clark had to leave.

We got another strong storm last night, and when I got up, it was all the way down to 73 outside (still 88 in the house though, because Clark got up and shut all the windows when it started pouring.) However, the humidity was at 100 percent.

I went out to do a lap around the 5.5-mile loop. I didn’t listen to my music because it was still dark out (I know that statement doesn’t really make any sense, but anyway.) As I started out down the road, I could hear this scraping and dragging noise. I thought a farmer was messing with the control panel for the irrigation system, but there was no one there. I was starting to freak out until I finally caught a glimpse of a shadow in one of the neighbor’s yard — it was just my neighbor dragging his trash can out to the road for pick up. Phew! I hate running in the dark!

Two miles into the run, I had to use the bathroom. Big surprise. I made a stop in a corn field. It’s 5:30 a.m., I’m two miles from home, drenched in sweat and pooping in a dark corn field. It was one of those moments that makes me wonder what I’m doing haha.

A mile and a half later, I ran up on a woman out walking her two dogs. She said something about how early I was running today, and for some reason I blurted out that I didn’t even have air conditioning to look forward to after I finished my run, because ours died. I guess I just felt like complaining! She looked sufficiently horrified by our first-world nightmare. I felt better. This DOES suck!

Less than half a mile from home, I had to use the bathroom again. Gah! There were no corn fields or woods, and I absolutely could not hold on until I got home, so I hopped a fence along someone’s property (nowhere near their yard or house) and ran into some bushes. Geez.

I finally made it home, just as the sun was coming up. I went in the house, hung up all my soaking wet running clothes and sat down in front of the window unit. Clark left for Pennsylvania, and then I made Pepper go upstairs with me so I could do my strength training before it got too hot up there. It was actually nicer in the attic than it was downstairs at that time. I did ab exercises, push-ups, invisible chair-sitting and lifted weights.

And now Pepper and I are set up in the bedroom for the day, until I have to leave to cover something for work later. Hopefully at least one of Clark’s parents will be home and agree to watch Pep while I’m away. This no AC thing is such a pain in the ass.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: