A Simple Running Log

July 25, 2016

Training for 7/25/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 9:46 am

Friday evening, TK and I went to Lewes to run the inaugural Twilight 5K, our final summer series race.

We were expecting heavy traffic going to the beach on a Friday, so we left really early. Turned out traffic wasn’t that bad (yet), so we got to Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park almost 90 minutes ahead of the 7 p.m. start time.

The race director was still setting up, and we were the first ones to pick up our race bibs and event T-shirts. We killed some time by taking a walk along the ocean. It was pretty hot, and the chilly ocean water felt great. I didn’t even mind when we misjudged a couple of incoming waves and got drenched nearly up to our waists.

Around quarter after 6, we went back to the car, wiped the sand off our feet and put on our running shoes and race bibs.

I did an easy mile to warm up. It was so stinking hot, and humid, of course. I was already sweating my face off when I finished my warm up.

About 10 minutes of 7, the race director called us over to the start line. He said he thought this would be in the top 10 of the hottest races he’d ever held, and he’s been doing this in Delaware for years.

The start (and finish) line were at the top of a small hill in the parking lot closest to the beach access point. We had to wait for a few cars to get out of the way before we could start the race.

While we were waiting, I heard one of the other runners saying she might have bad gas because she’d eaten peppers and onions with lunch, and had a beer. One of the hazards of an evening race! She said that could be her strategy, to gas out her competition. She wound up winning her age group, so I guess it worked haha.

Anyway, the parking lot finally cleared out long enough for us to start the race, and we were off!

2016 twilight 5k start 2

The smiling woman in the bright yellow sports bra on the right is the one who was warning everyone about her potential gas. Look at the face of the woman to the left of her haha.

Anyway, I’m a little farther back there in the blue sports bra and black shorts. Here I am a few steps farther down the hill:

2016 twilight 5k start

The race course left the parking lot and turned right, running less than a quarter-mile up the road, before making a quick turn onto a trail.

On the trail, we ran back the way we’d come, passing behind another parking lot.

The race photographer was taking pictures here, less than a half-mile into the race, when we weren’t hurting too bad yet:

2016 twilight5k mile .5

We followed that trail through the woods, to a newish section that just opened less than two years ago, connecting Cape Henlopen State Park to Gordon’s Pond State Park in Rehoboth.

The first part of this section of the trail was on a bridge that was fun to run on. I hit the first mile marker in 7:05. Decent, but I didn’t think I could hold on to that pace. It felt like it just kept getting hotter as we ran.

The bridge ended and we were back on a crushed gravel trail, winding through the marshes. It was a very pretty course, but the way the breeze was blowing, we caught some strong whiffs of marshes at low tide a couple of times.

Around mile 1.8, we made a U-turn. There was a water stop there. I grabbed a cup, drank some of it and poured the rest over my head.

Mile 2 came in at 7:27. Yup, slowing down! Just one more mile to go though.


Just after passing the mile two marker.

That last mile did not feel good at all! I managed to pass a couple more runners though, without getting passed by anyone else.

We exited the woods behind the parking lot across from the beach access lot. The mile 3 marker was right there, which I ran in 7:19. The course took us around that lot, across the road and back to the beach access lot.

That meant the sweet downhill we’d run at the very beginning was now a torturous uphill at the very end.

2016 twilight 5k finish

“What a great place for an uphill.”

I made it back up the hill and crossed the line in 22:53 — 30 seconds faster than the 5K I’d run six days earlier. I was so glad to be done!

I took a bottle of water and then did another slow mile to cool down.

I got back to the finish line in time to see TK come across the line. She hadn’t had a very good race; she said she’d felt like she was on the verge of puking several times in that last mile, and had to take walk breaks. But she made it, and now we’re both done with summer series 5Ks.

By that time, the sun had gotten low enough that it was a pretty nice evening to sit outside. Plus, after you run hard in the heat and then cool down, it always feels more comfortable than it had before you ran.


TK and me after the race.

Eventually they posted the results. I was 15th overall, fourth female runner and first in my age group. I got six first place age group finishes in the series, giving me a lowest-possible final score of six, only the second time in seven years I’ve pulled that off.

When they handed out the awards, there was a bonus. This year, they hadn’t held the Women’s Distance Festival 5K, the one I’d always run for the New Balance gift certificates that went to the top 10 female finishers. It turned out, the local New Balance store had picked this race to be the stand-in, so the top 10 female runners all got gift certificates and a New Balance water bottle. This was not mentioned anywhere on the race website, so we were all pleasantly surprised when we got those. For finishing fourth, I got $15.


Two of three winners in the F 30-34 age group.

So, all in all, a successful evening! It was nearly 9 p.m. by the time everything had wrapped up. TK and I went straight home.

Saturday, Clark left bright and early for his bike ride in Cambridge. Around 9:30 a.m., I finally went out to do the 5-miler on my schedule.

It was blazing hot already. It was a slow slog around the 5.5-mile loop, with plenty of breaks to take a pull off my water bottle. I was glad to get back home into the air conditioning (which Clark had been able to fix Friday morning.)

Clark got home from the bike ride. We spent a lot of the afternoon lying around. I took a nap. Running in the heat makes me so sleepy.

Later, we decided to go to Rehoboth to try Revelation Brewing, a new microbrewery started by another former Dogfish Head employee.

Traffic was a nightmare, as expected, but we eventually made it. The brewery was in a pole building in a little residential area on the bike trail, just off the main drag in town. It’s just a tasting room, so dogs are allowed.

The place was packed when we first got there, but it thinned out and we got settled in at the bar. I started with a flight, and chose the orange wheat, blonde ale, peach saison and weisse with strawberries. The peach saison was by far my favorite. Clark got the oyster stout, which was also pretty good.

revelation flight

revelelation brewery menu

pepper crazy eyes

Pepper hiding under Clark’s feet and attracting flies haha.

Our next stop was Dogfish Head. The patio is gone, as construction of the new building is under way, but there’s still some limited space outside where they’ll let you sit and drink beers from the bar.

I had two brewpub exclusives, Mint Berry Crunch and Belgian Fusion, and then Clark and I split a Chocolate Lobster.

We were sitting near a kiosk outside, where they sell Dogfish Head merchandise. One employee said they’d sold a lot more stuff since Pepper had gotten there, because he was attracting everyone’s attention (as usual.) I offered to bring Pepper around every day to serve as a Dogfish Head mascot.

Our last stop of the night was a restaurant in Rehoboth for dinner. It spells its name like this: a(MUSE.) I’m just gonna call it Amuse though, because I feel like a hipster typing out that stupid spelling.

Except for the fact they have outdoor seating and allow dogs, I don’t have much good to say about our experience there.

It was late enough by the time we got there that they were only serving their late-night menu (which they called a “pop-up dinner” menu, whatever the hell that means), but there was plenty on it.

The thing was though, service was sloooooooooooow. It took forever just to get our drink order, and I bet we were there an hour before we got any food. And when the food did get there, it was underwhelming. I had ramen with pork belly and crab, and we split an appetizer of hot chicken. Nothing impressed me. I don’t think we’ll be going back.

I guess you could say we were not… amused. Ha.

Anyway. We went home after dinner.

Sunday morning, I was woken up by Clark, who said the air conditioning had crapped out on us overnight, for the second time since this stupid heat advisory went into effect. Great!

Before he started working on that though, he let me drive this:

company car

As of Friday afternoon, this is Clark’s company car, a brand new 2016 Ford Focus ST. It has pretty much every option you can get on a new car right now, but the best part is the turbocharged four-banger putting out 252 hp, with a six-speed manual.

I drove a route that ended with a perfectly straight two-mile stretch. This thing FLIES. And it’s so smooth! I like it. It really made my old Civic feel like a turd though haha.

After that bit of excitement, Clark got to work on the AC. Nothing he tried was fixing it. We had already paid for tickets to brunch though, and we couldn’t take Pepper. We didn’t want to leave him locked up in one small room in a hot house, and Clark’s parents were at the beach.

So we went to our last resort. We called my parents to see if they would watch Pepper.

Fortunately, my mom was the one who answered the phone when I called, because my dad probably would’ve immediately come up with a long list of reasons why Pepper couldn’t stay there for two hours. Mom said they’d watch him for us.

We had to wait a little while for my parents to get home from church before we could leave their house, so we were about 15 minutes late getting to Turnbridge Point in Denton for brunch. Turns out, the chef, Steve, likes to announce the brunch selections to the entire group, so everyone has to be there before they let people start eating. Sorry, everyone else! We would’ve been on time if our stupid air conditioning was working.

Steve described everything on the buffet and then turned us loose. This was my first (of two) plates:

brunch round one

Let’s see if I can remember what everything is. At the very bottom center is fruit salad that was dressed with something incredible that I have forgotten. Clockwise from the fruit salad is a mushroom and rice salad, tomato and cucumber salad, parts of a nicoise salad (green beans, shrimp and hard boiled egg), mini Quiche Lorraine, huevos rancheros on a homemade tortilla chip, mini fig and cheese sandwich and a giant cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting. In the cup off to the side of the plate is a cucumber-dill soup.

Not pictured but also on the buffet are biscuits with either sausage gravy or peach jam, mini BLTs with candied pork belly in place of the bacon and mini “grown-up” grilled cheeses.

Holy crap. Brunch was amazing. Everything was so good, but my favorites were the fruit salad, the huevos rancheros (which had just the right amount of habanero olive oil for heat) and the cinnamon roll. The CINNAMON ROLL. I could eat a whole pan of those right now.

When we’d had our fill, Clark and I went for a little walk on the grounds behind the house. There was a garden, which had supplied all the tomatoes used in that brunch, and several sitting areas for guests at the bed and breakfast. It went all the way down to the Choptank River.

river view

View of the Choptank River.

back yard

Looking up from the river to the back yard.

When we got back, they were getting ready to serve dessert. It wasn’t over!

Steve had four desserts for us: Cherry shortcake, an upside-down peach cobbler, meringue cookies and Cannolis, a cookie he invented that’s supposed to be a cross between a cannoli and an Oreo.

I was hurting by the end, but I managed to power through every one of those desserts.

meringue cookie

Look at this perfect little meringue cookie with a lemon curd center! LOOK AT IT.

And then, Steve went around and offered everyone a box to take home leftovers. I have never been offered a brunch doggy bag. The thought of more food at the moment was making me feel a little sick, but I filled ours with the fruit salad and two huevos rancheros. Maybe I’d be hungry again some day.

We went back to my parents’ house. Everyone had survived, though Pepper had howled the whole time we were gone and then went insane when we actually came back.

We stayed there a little while, soaking up the AC, and then we went home. Clark worked on the AC some more while I set myself up in the living room floor with a box fan and a little spray bottle of water, where I watched the race.

It took a while, but eventually Pepper figured out what the fan was for, and he totally hogged it:

fan hog

It’s much cooler right here!

Meanwhile, nothing Clark tried fixed the AC. He ran out of ideas, so we gave up and put all the screens in the windows so we could at least get a breeze in the house, even if it did feel like it was coming from a furnace.

I moved the fan into our room when I went to bed. I felt like a kid again, sleeping in a hot room with a fan. I never had AC in my room growing up; we only had it downstairs, and my parents had their own little window unit just for their room. I guess my dad thought sweating our asses off all summer just trying to sleep was character-building or something.

This morning, I got up early and ran the easy 3-miler on the schedule. Today is supposed to be even hotter than it was this weekend, as if that’s possible. It already felt like nearly 90 at 7 a.m. The worst part of sweating through that run was knowing there wasn’t going to be any cool blast of relief when I opened the back door at home.

I thought about taking Pepper to my office just to get away from this oven today, but now someone is supposedly coming here to try to fix the AC for us, so I guess I’m hanging out here in front of the fan all day again.

You might have noticed there was no running yesterday, when I was supposed to be doing a long run. I just skipped that one completely and I don’t even care. Three miles today was bad enough. It can’t stay this hot forever!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: