A Simple Running Log

July 18, 2016

Training for 7/18/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 8:40 am

Well, the heat really kicked my ass this weekend, but I survived the 5K Saturday morning and a long-ish run Sunday morning.

Saturday was the Race for the Ribbon 5K in Rehoboth, on the exact same course on which I ran the Father’s Day 5K a month ago in 22:28. I was hoping a miraculous cold front would come through the night before the race, but nope. It was already hot and steamy when TK got to my house at 6 a.m. for the drive to Rehoboth.

We got our event T-shirts and race bibs. After one last pee break, I only had enough time for a half-mile warmup.

It had been overcast when we first arrived in Rehoboth, but of course, the sun broke free just before the race started. Perfect!

I joined my fellow 300+ runners and walkers at the start line. This is one of the more popular races in the summer series. It’s held in memory of two local people who died because of cancer. The breakfast buffet at the Greene Turtle on the boardwalk, free to participants, is a big draw, and the silent auction after the race raises a lot of money for cancer research.

We got the start commands and we were off.

race for the ribbon delivery truck

Field of runners squeezing by a delivery truck a 10th of a mile into the race.

Since my wish for a last-minute cold front was not granted, my next hope was that I had developed an immunity to the effects of hot weather on running over the last couple of weeks, and I would still manage to pull off a faster 5K than the 21:56 I ran over the Fourth of July weekend.

Haha. Nope. I could not breathe in that humidity. My first mile was 7:15, 25 seconds slower than my first mile in the last 5K I ran, and I could tell it was just going to get worse from there.

I was right about that. The second mile wound through a neighborhood. The little bit of a breeze we’d had in the first mile was gone. It felt even more stiflingly hot. I took two cups of water from the water stop at mile 1.9, walked a few steps to drink part of one, and then poured the rest of it and the entire second cup over my head.

Mile 2 clocked in at a blistering 7:49. Yowza! About two 10ths of a mile later, we made a U-turn and headed back toward the finish line. I can’t tell you how bad I wanted to stop running. I felt like I had zero oxygen in my body. Some guy ran up next to me and asked what time was on my watch. I told him we were at 16:45. He asked what time I was shooting for and I answered I was so far off any semblance of a goal time, I was just hoping to finish without dying.

I passed a few runners who’d given in to the urge to walk in that last mile, which just made it look that much more tempting, but I managed to force myself to run all the way back. It was horrible.

2016 race for the ribbon 5k finish

Almost to the finish.

I ran the third mile in 7:32 and crossed the line in 23:24 — a minute slower than the 5K on the same course a month ago, and 90 seconds slower than my most recent 5K. My average pace was slower than it was in the 5-miler I ran Memorial Day weekend. Stupid humidity!

For good measure, about halfway through that last mile, my digestive system had made itself known. In a freaking 5K. Really! So my first order of business once I stopped running was to get my butt to a bathroom, pronto.

I got that taken care of, and then I took off for a cool down. I did a mile and a half, super easy, taking plenty of breaks to walk and drink from the bottle of water I’d gotten at the finish line.

I got back to the finish line area just after TK finished. She’d run a slower 5K than the last one too — and she’d donated blood the day before the last one.

We exchanged our running shoes for flip flops and then went to the post-race party at the Greene Turtle. The floor in that place was soaked, from all the sweat dripping off everyone’s completely saturated clothing. My shorts were clinging to my legs like a wet plastic bag, and my feet were slipping in my flip flops. So gross!

I got a bunch of pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and watermelon. That really hit the spot.

I didn’t see the results before they announced the awards, so I didn’t know if someone had beaten me in my age group. It turned out I won it again though. Five down for the summer series, one to go! When I looked at the results later, I saw that I’d beaten second place by more than five minutes. Guess I could’ve taken a walk break in that third mile after all!

2016 race for the ribbon 5k awards

Top three in my age group.

I was also 11th of 154 female finishers, and 42nd of 293 finishers in the open division. (This race also has a Clydesdale and Filly division, for male and female runners who’d rather compete in a weight class than in the age groups, which is why there were more than 300 participants but only 293 in the overall finishing order.)

So that was done. TK and I got iced coffees from Dunkin’ Donuts and then drove to Fenwick, where we spent a few hours on the beach. The damn clouds returned when we were laying out, of course! Where were they when we were running?

That evening, Clark and I went to my nephews’ 18th birthday party. Poor Caleb just got his first job, at the new Harris-Teeter that opened last month in Easton, and had to work through his own birthday party.

Sunday, I once again put off running until late morning, even though it’s way too hot to be doing that right now. Around 10 a.m., I finally pulled myself off the couch and went out for a lap around the 9.1-mile loop.

It was another miserable run. First of all, my digestive tract was having one of those days. I had to stop around two miles in, and then again around the end of the fifth mile. I felt like I had to go again, off and on, the entire rest of the way home. And, of course, it was pretty hot by that point, which wasn’t helping.

I eventually made it home. In the afternoon, Clark and I went back to Fenwick. We left Pepper with Clark’s parents for a little bit so we could go to the beach. Clark wanted to go for a training swim in the ocean, now that the jellyfish have taken over the Choptank River.

Clark’s parents had been on the beach earlier that day, and left their chairs and umbrella, so I sat there while Clark was out swimming. Unfortunately, right next to their stuff was a group of the most annoying tourists I have ever come into contact with on the beach. Seriously.

It was a bunch of drunk idiots from New York City, playing fucking BOCCE right on the beach. And not back by the dunes, but right up by the water, where they were throwing large, heavy balls (like croquet balls, only bigger) around other people just trying to enjoy their day in peace and quiet.

That was another thing — since bocce is a competition, every single time one of them threw the ball, no matter what happened, they would all yell OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! when it landed. Every. Fucking. Time. And when they weren’t hollering like they’d just scored a goal in a World Cup soccer game, they were yelling back and forth, the way drunk people do, because everyone thinks they’re clever when they’ve been drinking.

hipster douches

Yes, that is a man bun on the jackass throwing the bocce ball in my direction here. That just made me hate him the most.

I felt like I was trapped in a Bud Light Lime commercial. Young people being so carefree and cool! You know what they don’t show in those commercials? The other people, off-camera, who are pissed they have to put up with their nonsense. Tourists. UGH.

At one point, I moved my beach chair, and one of the guys said “You don’t have to move, we’re not going to hit you!” I told him I had no interest in sitting there and finding out if that was true, without a hint of friendliness in my voice.

Who plays bocce on the beach anyway?! Get a football or a Frisbee like normal people! Oh wait — that’s the problem with footballs and Frisbees. They’re so mainstream. Hipster douches from New York have to play something obscure so everyone knows how cool they are.

Well I for one was very impressed by how cool they were, if you can’t tell, since I’m still seething about it a day later.

Anyway, Clark returned from his swim, and we packed up the chairs and umbrella and got the hell out of there.

We drank some beers at the beach house with his parents, got dinner at Matteo’s and went home.

Today is the first day of 18 weeks of Philly Marathon training! I’m back on a set plan. Today, I’m supposed to do an easy 3-miler and strength training.

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: