A Simple Running Log

January 18, 2016

Training for 1/18/16

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 12:38 pm

Since Clark wanted to get to the beach to go surfing as soon as possible Saturday, I did the shorter run on the schedule that morning, the 7-miler. I did an easy, uneventful lap around the 7.3-mile loop. It had cooled down enough from the day before I needed capri length tights, a heavier top and thin gloves, but it wasn’t bad.

When we left for the beach, I wore a bathing suit under my sweats, but by the time we got there, I’d changed my mind about trying to get in the water. It was about this time last year I could feel the water through my wetsuit. I don’t want to experience that again.

Pepper stayed at the beach house with Clark’s mom and Snoopy, while Clark, his dad and I went down to the Indian River inlet. There were quite a few surfers out there when we got there in the mid-afternoon. While the other two were out in the water, I drank a beer and took some pictures from the jetty.

jetty in january

Looking out to sea.

surfers in january

Looking up the beach. All the little black dots in the water are surfers.

indian river bridge in january

Bridge over the inlet.

When we got back to the beach house, we stayed long enough to get takeout for dinner with Clark’s parents. We got home around 10:30 p.m. and went straight to bed.

Sunday, I didn’t have anywhere to be until 3 p.m. Should have been plenty of time to get in my 17-miler, right? Haha no.

I slept in, ate some breakfast, made some coffee, played some Game Gear… by the time I was finally ready to run, it was almost 11 a.m. That’s still four hours. But! The place I had to be at 3 was my niece’s first birthday party, and of course, I hadn’t even gotten so much as a card yet. So I needed time to shower, drive somewhere to buy a gift, drive home to wrap it and be at my brother’s house on time.

Oh, and by this time, it had started snowing. It was coming down pretty hard too, though it didn’t look like it was sticking to the roads at all.

I had to layer up in full-on winter running clothes. I also put on Clark’s Oakleys to keep the snow out of my eyes.

I started out down the road, thinking I might be able to get in a lap around the 13.2-mile loop.

Two miles later, I had absolutely had it with the sunglasses. They wouldn’t stop fogging up and I couldn’t see a damn thing. I took them off, thinking the snow wouldn’t be that bad. Three seconds later, the first flake stung me right in the eye. Great! My choices were to be blind because the glasses were foggy or blind because I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I went with the latter.

In spite of all that, the run itself was going fine. But somewhere around the 4.5-mile mark, I realized I definitely didn’t have time for 13 miles. I lobbed off another 3 miles and decided to make it a 10-miler.

And that’s what I did. I ran the 10.1-mile loop in a bit under 90 minutes. I really did feel a lot better on that run than I had the week before. I think 17 miles would have gone fine if I could’ve gotten my butt out the door earlier.

I have to say, the snow was pretty. It was like running through a snow globe yesterday. I stopped just to look up a couple of times (if I tried to look up while moving, I got a flake right to the eye every time.) The snow was clinging to all the trees, so they all looked frosted. But it wasn’t sticking to the roads at all, so the footing was fine.

I was still glad to get home though. I don’t think I was underdressed, but I was really cold when I got home, especially my hands. I hate winter.

I took a shower and then Clark and I went in town to get dog food for Pepper and a gift and card for Kaylee. We got home with enough time to wrap the gift (OK, put it in a gift bag, but it was a stuffed animal, so it would have been hard to wrap anyway) and then drive to the party.

It was a nice little party. Kaylee opened all her gifts and then we had cake and ice cream. Between all the phones in the room, there were also about 3 million pictures taken of the birthday girl. You had to be quick though. Kaylee is walking now and has zero time for posing.

kaylee trying to take pictures

Julie trying to get a shot while Mom distracts Kaylee.

kaylee first birthday

Caught her on her way by!

Kaylee also has a new game where she offers to give someone something, and when they reach for it, she snatches it back and takes off. She got Clark:

clark punked by kaylee


I think that time it was her own hand. I love the look on her face. “I can’t believe he fell for it!”

Today, the snow is gone and the sun is out, but it’s COLD. Today is also Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so I covered the annual freedom march in Denton for the fifth year. It’s always been cold, but today was by far the worst so far. It wouldn’t be so bad it wasn’t for all the wind that whipped up overnight. I dressed as warmly as I could, but by the time it was done, I was frozen anywhere that got hit by the wind at all.

Eventually I’ll go back home so I can run the 3-miler on the schedule while the sun is still up. Maybe I’ll take Pepper to the trail so we can escape the wind.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: