A Simple Running Log

August 31, 2015

Training for 8/31/15

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 10:23 am

I didn’t quite put in all the miles I intended this weekend, but it was due to timing more than laziness, and I still got in some good runs, so it wasn’t a wash.

Clark had said Friday night he wanted to leave our house by 9 a.m. the next day, to be at the beach house by 10. I knew there was no way I’d get up in time to run 17 miles and be ready to leave by 9 a.m. (OK, maybe this was laziness haha.) So after I fed Pepper his breakfast, I looked at the time and decided I only had time for the 10.5-mile loop.

It was a decent run. I had to use the bathroom a couple of times, but the actual running part went fine.

I got home around 8:30 a.m. and found Clark still in bed — where he stayed until 10:30 haha. I had plenty of time to get in the other 6.5 miles of that run. Oh well.

When we did make it to the beach house, we put a couple surfboards on the Jeep and Clark, his dad and I rode down to Indian River. (Pepper stayed at the house with Clark’s mom, aunt and grandmother.)

There were so many people at Indian River, we had to wait for a parking spot to open, and when we did get down to the beach, we found a ton of surfers out in the water, all waiting for the few waves coming through. Every now and then they’d get a decent set and a few surfers would catch a wave, but for the most part it looked like a lot of this:

surf lounge

It was a great day for laying out on the beach though! I took the surfboard out for a little while, but I spent most of the afternoon just lounging in the sand.

When we got back to the beach house, Clark’s brother and sister-in-law had gotten there. We got to see Snoopy take off for his first kayak ride:

snoopy in the kayak

He seemed to like it!

That evening, we celebrated Clark’s grandmother’s birthday. Clark’s dad had caught some crabs out in the bay, so he steamed those. We also had steamed shrimp, bison burgers, grilled chicken, corn on the cob, baked beans, fresh pineapple, cantaloupe and cake for dessert. It was all very good.

Chad and Samira left after dinner. Clark and I had originally planned to go home that night too, but we wound up staying at the beach house. I was absolutely exhausted and fell asleep right after they left, but Clark stayed up until 2 a.m. with the rest of his family playing games.

Pepper woke me up around 6, wanting his breakfast. He was pacing around with his nails clicking on the linoleum floor, so I fed him early. I noticed the sun was about to come up. I hadn’t seen a sunrise on the beach all summer, so after Pepper ate, I walked him over to the beach to see it.

The beach was empty so I unclipped his leash as soon as we got over the dunes. I ran down to the water to get a couple pictures of the sunrise:


So pretty! I turned around to look for Pepper, thinking he was right behind me, but this was as close he was willing to come, and the look on his face made it clear he wasn’t happy about even being there:

pepper on the beach

“Can we GO now?”

We walked back to the beach house, woke up Clark and hit the road. When we got home, I changed into running clothes and headed out for a run.

I had an 8-miler on the schedule, but I wasn’t so sure I wanted to run that far. It was warming up because it was already mid-morning at that point and I just wasn’t really in the mood for it.

I ran the whole thing though, much to my surprise! Other than another bathroom break and a walk break around mile 4.5 to eat a GU because I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet, I ran the whole way and felt fine.

When I got home, I tried to turn off my iPod, which had worked fine for the whole run, but it wouldn’t respond. I think it’s dead. It was acting weirder and weirder throughout the afternoon yesterday, and this morning, it’s just a blank white screen if it turns on at all.

I’m annoyed but not surprised. I should probably wear it in its armband, but I prefer to put it in a shorts pocket, which means it gets soaked in buckets of sweat this time of year. RIP, iPod.

Anyway, I took a shower and then met my friends at the Olive Garden in Easton for lunch to celebrate Julie’s birthday. It’s always fun to hang out with them!

When I got home, I spent the rest of the afternoon with Clark at home, and yesterday evening, our friend Mark stopped by.

This morning, I ran an easy lap around the 4.5-mile loop with Pepper. The first mile was so slow — almost 15 minutes! We left the same time Clark was about to leave for work, but he hadn’t driven away yet. I think Pepper thought Clark was still at home, so he was trying to get me to take him back too. He was an absolute turd for the first mile, stopping in the road to glare at me or just poking along, spritzing all the soybean plants in the fields we were passing. He finally picked it up about a mile and a half into the run, and we ran the rest of the loop at a pretty good clip.

And that took care of August, so it’s time for my monthly summary.


  • Week 1 (Aug. 1): 6 miles
  • Week 2 (Aug. 2-8): 26.6
  • Week 3 (Aug. 9-15): 31.3
  • Week 4 (Aug. 16-22): 43.9
  • Week 5 (Aug. 23-29): 40.1
  • Week 6 (Aug. 30-31): 12.8

Total: 160.7 miles

160 miles! I haven’t run that many miles in a month in two freaking years! Obviously I was still slacking the first half of the month — I completely skipped a 13- and 14-mile long run — but the second half, I made a real effort to actually stick to my training plan. I feel pretty good too, no aches or pains. I didn’t run any races this month.

September should be an even bigger mileage month as I get into the longest runs of marathon training, including a 19-miler and the first of three 20-milers. I also have two races planned, the Last Blast Prediction 5K this coming Saturday, and the Dogfish Dash 8K the last Sunday of the month. Dave sent me a text yesterday he’d run 5 miles in 35:24 that morning, a 7:05/mile average. He’s getting fast!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: