A Simple Running Log

February 2, 2015

Training for 2/2/15

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 11:17 am

I actually got in a couple of decent runs this weekend!

Saturday was still cold and only marginally less windy than Friday had been, but I managed to get myself out the door in spite of the “feels like” temperature hovering down around 5 degrees. I think I finally solved the problem of my numb butt on the rare day it gets that cold — I put on a pair of compression shorts under the tights. That second layer seemed to do the trick, and I didn’t have to spend $100 on a thicker pair of tights. In addition to the shorts/tights, I had on a compression mock neck shirt, another cold weather thin layer and a heavy duty pullover up top, thick wool socks on my feet, a beanie on my head and thick fleece gloves on my hands. I also took a scarf with me, for when I had to run into the wind.

Even with clothes made specifically for running, it’s hard to not feel like I’m waddling down the road with all those layers. The first half of the run was easier, because I always had the wind either at my back or coming from an angle. About 4.5 miles in though, I made a turn that put me head on into the 20 mph wind for the first time, and my face stung immediately. I stopped to wrap the scarf around it, and finished the 7.3-mile loop.

When I got home, Clark had a pretty normal idea for something to do on such a cold day — surfing! I, of course, found out last weekend my thinner wetsuit isn’t cut out for 39-degree water, so I wasn’t interested in going in the water myself, but Pepper and I went along anyway.

We stopped at the beach house in Fenwick to get a surfboard. There was ice on the canal:

frozen canal

We went to the Indian River inlet. Not surprisingly, the parking lot was empty. Clark changed into all his wetsuit gear and we walked out to the beach, which was also deserted.

Clark heading out.

Clark heading out.

Since no one else was there, we let Pepper run around off leash. He had on his little dork jacket, but he was clearly not happy with the cold. He was sprinting around at top speed, running toward the parking lot, noticing I wasn’t following him and then circling back to get my attention, as if to say “The Jeep is THIS WAY! Let’s go, dummy!”

You can see his little pawprints going toward the bridge and then coming toward me haha. I like this shot because he looks like he's doing a handstand.

You can see his little pawprints going toward the bridge and then coming toward me haha. I like this shot because he looks like he’s doing a handstand.

Well, I wanted to go look at the jetty for a minute, so Pepper just had to wait. Some of the rocks were iced over.


And then I got some more pictures of Pepper, including this one, where, if you ask me, he seems to be enjoying himself:

pepper running

It looked like Clark’s wetsuit was still working, but I was freezing, so Pepper and I went back to the Jeep to wait. Clark was out there almost an entire hour. When he came back, he said only his hands and feet had started to get chilly in the water. Neoprene, man. It’s magic.

We stopped at the Nike outlet in Rehoboth, where I scored some nice cold weather running tops for cheap. It’s awesome to find stuff on sale when it’s actually still useful!

That evening, we went to Clark’s parents’ house for dinner, to celebrate Clark’s birthday. His mom made jerk chicken with a mango-habanero salsa. It was really good, as was the chocolate on chocolate cake we had for dessert.

Sunday, I wanted to get in another run in the morning. It looked like the wind had died at least, but I assumed it was still as cold as it’d been the day before. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was actually a little above freezing. Combined with the lack of wind, the “feels like” temperature was about 30 degrees warmer than it had been Saturday.

I put on my tights — no need for shorts underneath — and one layer up top, a lightly fleece-lined crew neck shirt I’d gotten from the Nike outlet. Thin gloves, an earband and normal running socks were all enough.

I set out intending to just do the 5.5-mile loop. I felt so much lighter running down the road compared to Saturday, and it felt great! So great, in fact, as I got to the first turn for the 5.5-mile loop, I kept straight, thinking I’d just stretch it out to the 7.3-mile loop.

Well, when I got to the turn on that loop, I thought, why the hell not keep going and do at least 8.4? Then I got to that turn and thought, you know, I could go for the 10.5-mile loop!

And that’s what I did. I ran all the way to Galestown and then up Line Road to home. By the last couple of miles, I was feeling the lack of GU and definitely water, but it wound up being a pretty awesome run. I can’t remember the last time I left the house planning on one distance and doing almost double instead.

In the afternoon, Clark and I went over to see Dave and Kasey and, of course, Kaylee. Hard to believe she’s already two weeks old!

Kasey took this picture of me holding Kaylee, which made me laugh because it pretty much sums up the likelihood Clark and I will ever change our minds about having kids — I have a clear “uhh, what do you do with this?” face, and Clark was afraid to touch her haha.

what is this

I think that particular shot just caught me at a bad moment, because I swear I spent most of my time smiling at her, like this:

me and kaylee

See? I’m a good aunt!

How could you not smile at this face though:

kaylee 2-1-15

And here’s the whole family:

kasey dave and kaylee

Dave and Kasey said everything is going well, now that they’ve had some time to settle in at home, although they’re already putting up with the “So when are you having the next one??” questions from Aunt Helen haha. They also said Aunt Helen and Uncle John were both convinced I’d “finally” want a kid too as soon as I met Kaylee. She’s exceptionally cute, yes, but she’s hardly the first baby I’ve ever seen! I should send them both that first picture of Clark and me with her. Dreams, crushed.

Clark and I stopped by my parents’ house so Mom could give him his birthday card, and then we picked up Pepper at home and went over to Glenn and Lauren’s house to watch the Super Bowl. There, I met one of Glenn’s coworkers, who kept talking about James LeBron. He even “corrected” himself once when he screwed it up and said LeBron James haha. It was hard to keep a straight face.

Of course, yesterday was also the first day of February, which means it’s time to sum up January.


  • Week 1 (Jan. 1-3): 13 miles
  • Week 2 (Jan. 4-10): 18.5
  • Week 3 (Jan. 11-17): 32.3
  • Week 4 (Jan. 18-24): 29.6
  • Week 5 (Jan. 25-31): 21.8

Total: 115.2 miles

I’ll just say that total is waaay lower than the plan called for haha. Between the inhumane cold, the blood donation and every other excuse I could come up with, I skipped out on a lot of miles. But! I only ran 31 miles in January last year, so from that perspective, this time around was a massive success.

Oh well, moving on. I already ran 10.5 miles on what was technically a rest day yesterday, so February is off to a good start! Today I’m supposed to do 4.5 miles and strength training.

I didn’t run any races last month, and I don’t have any planned for this month either. The most exciting thing about February is the return of NASCAR — only 20 days until Daytona!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: