A Simple Running Log

January 19, 2015

Training for 1/19/15

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:41 pm

Well, first things first, I have a niece!


Kaylee Marguerite Schmidt was born at 8:31 a.m. yesterday, Jan. 18, 2015, weighing 8 lbs., 11 oz. You can’t see it because she’s wearing that hat, but she has a ton of hair — not taking after her daddy at all haha.

Her arrival was hardly easy, unfortunately for her mom and dad. Kasey’s due date was Jan. 4. As the days passed since then, with no baby news, I didn’t want to be the jerk constantly texting Dave or Kasey “hey, had that baby yet? hurr hurrrr.” I would imagine that bugs the shit out of expecting parents.

Apparently Kasey’s doctor decided to induce labor Friday evening, at the Easton hospital. I didn’t know that.

When I went to the kitchen to eat breakfast Saturday morning, I saw I had a missed call and a voicemail from my mom from about an hour earlier (I always leave my phone to charge in the kitchen.) Of course my first thought was “Kasey’s had the baby! Yay!” Normally I just call my mom back (who the hell leaves voicemail anymore?) but for some reason I listened to the message first.

Mom sounded like she’d either just woken up or hadn’t slept at all, and all she said was “Call me back as soon as you get this. I’ll try Clark’s phone next.” Sure enough, Clark had a missed call on his phone too.

Well if that isn’t ominous, I don’t know what is. So I called Mom.

“So you know Kasey went to Easton to be induced last night…” No, I didn’t, but anyway, why do you sound so worried? Spill it!

Mom said after the process was started, Kasey’s heartbeat got really high while her oxygen levels got lower and lower. Her doctors suspected she had a freaking blood clot in her lung and airlifted her to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. My brother and Kasey’s mom had driven up there. Mom wanted me to drive her and my younger sister there.

I inhaled the rest of my breakfast, threw on some clothes and was brushing my teeth when Mom called back and said Dave had called — he wasn’t sure if the hospital was even allowing visitors because the flu is so bad right now. Kasey was about to be taken in for a CAT scan. So we were supposed to hold off on leaving for Baltimore until Dave found out if we were allowed in there.

I spent the rest of the morning with my phone in my hand, waiting to hear something from someone — if we were going to Baltimore or not, how Kasey was doing, trying not to worry. Waiting for news sucks!

Finally, my little sister called and said the CAT scan showed no clots, which was a major relief. The doctors decided Kasey must have just had an allergic reaction to something, because everything looked OK again. They were inducing her again.

Still no word on whether or not visitors were allowed though, so I was still waiting to see if I was going to Baltimore or not. I didn’t want to leave for a run because I didn’t want to make my family wait for me to get back if they did decide to go. So I did some strength training with Clark instead, one of those surf workouts he found a couple of weeks ago.

It was almost 3:30 p.m. when we got done with that. At that point, I was doubtful my family would go to Baltimore even if Dave said we could, so I decided to go for a short run. I told Clark which loop I was running and to come get me on the off chance someone did call.

I ran the 5.5-mile loop. It was the first run since I’d donated blood Wednesday that I didn’t have to stop and walk every two minutes. In fact, I got through the whole loop without needing to stop once! I was already feeling all that strength training I’d done before I left though.

When I got home, of course, I’d missed a call from my mom, but she had only called to say Kasey had been given an epidural and was doing well, and no, we weren’t going up to Baltimore.

Sunday, I was hoping to wake up and find, say, a picture message of a newborn girl on my phone, but nope, nothing! I couldn’t help myself — I texted Dave and just said “Hey, how’s it going?” He immediately texted back “Literally stepping in for a c section now.” I sent back “Oh shit! Good luck!!” and then drove up to Annapolis with Clark and his dad to help Clark’s brother and his wife move out of their fourth floor apartment and into their new house.

Right after we pulled up to the house, I got the above picture of my new niece from my brother. The kid was here, finally, and everyone was doing well. All’s well that ends well, right?

The rest of the day, we moved Chad and Samira’s stuff from the apartment to either a storage unit or the house, which has been pretty much gutted in preparation for the total overhaul they’re doing while living in it. Right now it has one mostly-completed bathroom, a super sweet Tempurpedic bed, heat, electricity and Verizon FiOS. The rest of the house, including where the kitchen will be, is a blank slate. I can’t wait to see what this place looks like when they’re done with it.

I believe they’re keeping the charming parts of the house, built in 1936, like the hardwood floors and radiators, and updating the other stuff, like the heavy plaster walls and asbestos siding. You can see where it’s headed in the upstairs bathroom, which has the first wall-mounted toilet I’ve ever seen in someone’s house.

Last night, after we’d finished moving everything, Clark got a TV hooked up to the FiOS, grilled up some bison meat and asparagus on the little Weber grill he’d brought and we all sat in what will be the dining room and watched the second football playoff game.

We got home around 11:30 p.m. and I was out like a light as soon as I got in bed. This morning, I didn’t get up in time to run before I had to be in Denton to cover a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event, so I still have to do the easy 3-miler and strength training on the schedule.

I don’t know when I’ll get to meet my new niece. I’m pretty sure after everything Dave and Kasey went through this weekend, the last thing they want up at Johns Hopkins is a room full of relatives to put up with, so I don’t expect to see them until they come home. Dave told Mom when they were considering the C-section the doctors figured it would be at least Wednesday or Thursday this week before they’d get to come home, and last night, he told her he nor Kasey had even gotten to hold Kaylee yet because she’d been in an oxygen tent since she was born for respiratory therapy or something. So who knows! I haven’t heard anything new today.

One last note, I feel like a whiny brat complaining about feeling short of breath while running after donating blood last week, trying to imagine what Kasey must have felt like yesterday after not sleeping for days, working through labor and then going through major abdominal surgery to top it all off. She must feel like she actually got run over by a Mack truck. I hope she’s gotten to hold her baby today!



  1. Congrats Aunt Abby! So sorry it was so rough for Kacey, but glad all are better now.

    Comment by Laura — January 19, 2015 @ 8:51 pm | Reply

    • Thanks! Congrats on becoming an aunt again yourself last week 🙂

      Comment by aschmid3 — January 20, 2015 @ 12:13 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: