A Simple Running Log

September 23, 2014

Training for 9/23/14

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:20 pm

I suppose I should update this thing.

Friday, I did some strength training upstairs, including ab exercises, push-ups, invisible chair-sitting and weights, and then I took out the bike for a lap around the 4.5-mile loop. It was pretty windy, so it sucked when I had to pedal into it, but of course it all evened out when it was at my back and pushing me along.

Friday was also Clark’s and my fifth wedding anniversary.

Just after the ceremony Sept. 19, 2009.

Just after the ceremony Sept. 19, 2009.

As has become our tradition, we went to The Brick Hotel on the Circle in Georgetown, where we had our reception, for dinner. We had a good dinner, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) no one at any nearby tables ripped a massive fart as they were standing up, like last year haha. That’s still hilarious.

brick hotel

And then we took part in the other half of our annual tradition — we returned to the scene of the crime, the spot on the circle, right across from the hotel, where we held the ceremony, to take a bunch of terrible selfies until we finally gave up and said “Eh, that’s good enough.”

And us at the same spot after splitting a bottle of wine, Sept. 19, 2014.

At the same spot after splitting a bottle of wine, Sept. 19, 2014.

Then we went to Mispillion River Brewing in Milford for a couple beers. We came home to find Pepper had not left us an anniversary “gift” in the form of turds to clean up, for once! That’s almost become a tradition too.

Saturday, my foot was feeling so close to normal that I didn’t want to risk setting it back again by running too long on it. So around 12:30 p.m., Clark and I (and Pepper, of course) ran about three miles together. It was surprisingly warm that afternoon.

Later, we went to the beach house. Clark’s parents were there, but they left right after we got there, and took Pepper with them, so we could go out that night and then go surfing the next day.

We went to dinner at this little seafood place called Just Hooked, about a mile from the house in Fenwick. The place was packed, especially for it being the off season. I think we had to wait about 45 minutes to be seated. But the salmon and garlicky spinach I got was really good.

Sunday morning, I went for another easy 3-mile run around Fenwick. It was overcast and not especially hot, but boy was it humid again. It took me about 25 minutes to run, but another hour to stop sweating profusely.

We loaded up two surfboards on the Jeep and drove to Assateague. When we got there, the conditions were not that great. It was really choppy. We saw a few other surfers catching waves, but they looked like they had a much better handle on what they were doing than we did.

We’d driven all the way there though, so we took out our boards. Bad news, I never was able to paddle out all the way past the breakers, which was a loooong way out that day — waves kept crashing and pushing me back, erasing my progress. But! On the bright side, those same conditions a year ago would have kept knocking me off my board, rolling me through the surf and shoving gallons of water up my nose. I’m finally getting better at staying in control and on the board even in the whitewater created when a wave breaks before I can over it. I hardly got any water up my nose Sunday!

It wore me out pretty quickly though. It felt like I’d been paddling as hard as I could for hours when I decided to head back for the beach. I looked at my watch; I’d been out there all of 10 minutes haha. That is hard work!

We hung out on the beach for maybe an hour. It turned into a decent beach day at least.

clark on the beach

We left Assateague and stopped at the Ocean City Brewing Company to drink a few beers and watch the Ravens squeak out a win over the Browns. We were going to just head back to the beach house, but I suggested driving up to Indian River instead to check out the surf conditions there.

We got there around 5 p.m. The waves were a lot cleaner. We had more luck. Clark caught a couple, and I was finally able to drop in on a few, but I never quite hauled myself up to a standing position.

I think I might finally get the hang of this surfing thing sometime soon. The water was still warm enough this weekend I didn’t need anything more than a bathing suit and a rash guard, but that’s probably going to change quickly. Luckily, we have the wetsuits, boots, gloves and hoods to keep going well into the fall as the water and the air get colder.

I told Clark next summer we should quit our real jobs, get seasonal jobs at the beach and live in his parents’ beach house so we can go surfing every day. Maybe then I’d finally figure it out!

We went back to the beach house, cleaned up, had dinner at Harpoon Hanna’s, picked up Pepper from Clark’s parents and went home.

Yesterday, I just did the usual strength training, ab exercises, push-ups, invisible chair-sitting and weights. I thought about getting up early this morning in time to run before my usual Tuesday morning meeting, but naturally I slept in instead. There’s always this evening.

Right now, I’m still planning on getting through the full marathon at Marshall, now less than six weeks away. I did look up the procedure on dropping to the half, should it come to that, and I have until Oct. 26 to make that decision.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: