A Simple Running Log

June 3, 2014

Training for 6/3/14

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 1:32 pm

I was too busy to post anything yesterday, so here’s my catch-up:

Friday afternoon, Clark emailed me a Craigslist ad that had just been posted, for a 1999 Jeep Cherokee for sale in East New Market. We’ve been looking for a “beach vehicle,” something to keep at his parents’ place in Fenwick and use to haul around the boards. We didn’t want to spend much, but Clark wanted something that had a least a little style.

We’d asked my uncle about using a 1968 Ford Torino station wagon sitting in his barn (but that would have come with too much baggage, since it’d still belong to my uncle.) We’d looked at early ’90s Toyota pickups, but apparently a lot of other people are in the market for those too, because some of them cost more than Toyota pickups 10 years newer. And of course we’d looked at Jeep Wranglers, but, not at all surprisingly, anything in decent shape cost way more than we wanted to spend.

Side note: Clark and I were at Mispillion River Brewing on Thursday night, talking about the beach vehicle thing. He said he was also down on Wranglers because everyone has one. I said that’s because they’re awesome. This guy sitting two bar stools down from us, who’d been messing with his phone the whole time and seemingly not paying any attention to us, clinked pints with me after I said that haha. It’s true though!

Anyway, Clark contacted the Cherokee’s seller Friday afternoon, and we made an appointment to give it a look the next morning.

I didn’t get up in time to run like I’d intended before we went to look at the Cherokee. When we got there, Clark and I both drove it around the seller’s subdivision. It’s got a 3-in. lift and big knobby tires, so I wasn’t surprised how loud it was, even at 25 mph. The brakes also seemed spongy and the steering a little loose, but it’s a 15-year-old SUV with 191,000 miles on it, and the engine seemed pretty sound. Everything else seemed clean for the most part too. A few dings and dents, but nothing terrible.

The guy was asking $4,500. Clark told him he had $3,500 cash in hand, take it or leave it. The guy said he couldn’t go any lower than $3,800. Clark said something about checking to make sure the tires would pass inspection in Delaware before he’d consider going to $3,800. We left.

I thought that was the end of that, but we weren’t even home yet when the guy called Clark and said he’d take the $3,500. We turned around and went back to get it. Score!

Our new beach vehicle!

Our new beach vehicle!

The guy selling it was in his early 20s, as was his friend, who followed us all over to our house so the seller could remove his Maryland tags. The friend asked Clark if he was buying the Jeep for himself or his kid haha. How old do we look?

We drove the Jeep around the back roads near our house. That thing is loud as hell at 50 mph! And the online reviews say those are “quiet” tires.

After all that, I didn’t feel like a long run. I just did the 5.5-mile loop and called it a month, since that was the last day of May. We spent the evening at Mike’s house.

Sunday was race day in Dover! I got up early enough to start June with another lap around the 5.5-mile loop. My little sister agreed to drive us to Dover and back. She picked us up in her Mazda 2 a little after 10:30. It was funny to hear her still gushing about how great is is to have things like an interior light, five months after she traded in her raggedy 1993 Ford Festiva.

Sunday was a perfect day for a race, sunny and warm, but not too hot. Sadly, Jimmie stupid Johnson had to go and win the thing, his second win in a row, but I didn’t let him ruin my day.

A little before the halfway point, Clark and I walked out to the souvenir haulers. I bought a Kevin Harvick hat. I am by no means crowning him my new favorite driver, but, since Bobby Labonte is currently without a ride, I no longer have a Bobby Labonte hat.

Also, Harvick’s sponsor is one of my favorites:

My NASCAR hat matches my NASCAR beer!

My NASCAR hat matches my NASCAR beer!

While we were sitting at that little bar, where we got lunch, we struck up a conversation with these two:


They may look like two ordinary goobers at a NASCAR race, but they had AUSTRALIAN ACCENTS! Clark and I were thoroughly charmed haha.

We refrained from this when we were actually talking to them, but the next day we were joking about how we should have asked them to say things like “Outback: The world’s first sport utility wagon” and “No rules, just right.” Also, we cracked ourselves up talking about how we should have recreated the opening scene from Dumb and Dumber: “Nice accent! New Jersey?” (We know the woman in the movie was actually from Austria, but still. It was funny.)

Anyway, we made it back to our seats in time for the last 75 laps of the race or so. My family was weirdly excited to see my new Harvick hat. Again, this is not the end of Bobby Labonte! Geez.

My little sister got us home safely. We went to sleep pretty early that night.

Because we went to bed so early, we both felt pretty good when we woke up the next morning. I went for a short 3-mile run, and then we went to the beach. Clark’s surf report app said the waves were good.

His parents were still at the beach house, so we left Pepper with them, and took a surfboard and my paddleboard to the Indian River inlet.

I was really looking forward to it, since I’d had a good time on the paddleboard at the inlet the weekend before. Unfortunately, it was a lot choppier yesterday. It was so rough I couldn’t even get the paddleboard past the breakers, no matter how hard I tried. I started losing hope after a wave slammed the board into the top of my right foot so hard it bled a little and immediately swelled up, and then I gave up for good when another wave ripped the fin right off the bottom of the board. It’s detachable, so I thought the screw had come loose, but nope — the bottom of the fin was still screwed in. It just ripped the rest of it off.

When parts start falling off, I’m out. I dragged the board up to the sand and took a nap while Clark had a little more luck with the surfboard.

When Clark was done surfing, we took the boards back to the house, got Pepper, stopped at Papa Grande’s for rare tuna tacos and made it home in time for me to finish up a couple of stories for this week’s paper and go to a town meeting.

This morning, I had my usual Tuesday morning meeting, so I got up early enough to get in another 5.5-mile run.

And that’s everything I’ve done since I last posted. Now I’ll do my May summary.


  • Week 1 (May 1-3): 15.5 miles
  • Week 2 (May 4-10): 39.5
  • Week 3 (May 11-17): 43.9
  • Week 4 (May 18-24): 20.2
  • Week 5 (May 25-31): 36.3

Total: 155.4 miles

I still had my lazy moments, like that last long run that got cut in half to cap off the month, but still, 155 miles is decent. As far as racing went this month, I ran the half marathon in St. Michaels that went well, and the 5-miler in Lewes that went as well as expected, but still sucked.

Marshall Marathon training doesn’t start until June 30, so this month I’ll keep making up my own training as I go along, to make sure I’ve got a good base for it. Three of the five 5Ks I’m running in the summer series fall in this month too.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: