A Simple Running Log

March 31, 2014

Training for 3/31/14

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:08 pm

I ran a horrendous 5K race Saturday, but had a decent long run Sunday, so I guess this weekend evened out.

Friday night, Clark and I hit up a few of our favorite spots, starting at 16 Mile in Georgetown, where they’d brewed a keg of their brown ale with chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. It was absolutely delicious. We left Georgetown and went to 3rd Wave in Delmar, which I believe is now officially our second favorite local brewery behind Dogfish Head. We had a couple more there, and, when they closed, went to Specific Gravity in Salisbury, where we finally got some pizza for dinner.

It was pretty late when we got home, probably around midnight.

I didn’t sleep all that well. When my alarm went off at 7 a.m., I was a little hungover and really tired.

As if I already didn’t feel like running a 5K, the weather was crappy, windy and rainy. At least it wasn’t too chilly though. I got dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, ate some breakfast and headed to Easton.

TK had picked up my race packet the day before, so we sat in her car, out of the rain, until it was time to get in the starting “herd.” The race was part of Chick-fil-A’s connect series, so the “eat more chikin” cow theme was strongly represented.

Anyway, I did absolutely nothing to warm up, just stood there in the rain until someone shot a gun to send us on our way.

It sucked from the first step haha. I had zero energy and zero desire to run.

The start. I'm right over the shoulder of the woman reaching up to adjust her hood.

The start. I’m right over the shoulder of the woman reaching up to adjust her hood.

The course was pretty simple, an out-and-back that started at Idlewild Park and went to the Rails to Trail before returning to the park. There was a 10K and 5K that started together, and a 1-mile race that would start after the 10K was over.

There’s not much to say about the race. Everything on me felt sapped. I barely held a faster pace than my half marathon PR pace. I crossed the line in 22:18, exactly 90 seconds off my best, and felt like I’d just finished a marathon.

So glad that's over!

So glad that’s over!

I took a bottle of water and walked a bit, before returning to the finish line to cheer in TK.

It was a small enough race — 124 finishers in the 5K — that my time was first of 10 in the F 30-34 age group, second of 79 women and eighth overall. However, I didn’t feel like waiting around in the rain for my age group award, so when TK invited me back to the house she was housesitting to change into the dry clothes I’d brought, I took her up on the offer.

At least I got a little stuffed Chick-fil-A cow out of the deal, that Pepper immediately started destroying when I got it home:

pepper cow

On the way out of Easton, I stopped at my friend Allison’s house to drop off the socks I’d borrowed from her after that rainy 10-miler we did a couple of weeks before Shamrock. I was almost home when my mom called and offered to take Clark and me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday a few days early.

We went to Abbott’s Grill in Laurel. My mom and I had a Shorebreak Pale Ale from 3rd Wave, which my mom liked so much, we convinced her to keep the party going by taking us down Rt. 13 to the brewery in Delmar. Our second visit in less than 24 hours — that’s how much we like this place!

Mom with a flight.

Mom with a flight.

Mom dropped us off late that afternoon. Clark and I spent the rest of the night on the couch. I fell asleep early watching “Dumb and Dumber.”

Sunday morning, we got up relatively early. The house was absolutely disgusting — I don’t think it’d been vacuumed since we put away the Christmas decorations — so Clark made a deal with me. If I dusted everything before I ran, he’d run the vacuum while I was gone.

It was raining much harder Sunday morning than it had been the day before. I thought it was still warm though, so I left the house in shorts and a light long-sleeved T-shirt.

It was definitely colder, but I didn’t realize how much colder, because I took off for the run anyway, thinking I would just be chilly until I warmed up.

Wrong! I never warmed up, and after the cold rain had completely soaked what I was wearing, running into the wind the second half of the run just felt that much worse. I was really regretting not wearing gloves too. I felt like I did on that run with Allison a few weeks ago. My legs and hands were completely numb, and I just kept going because there was no other way to get it over with.

In spite of how cold I was, the run actually went OK. I ran 8.3 miles at an 8:34/mile average pace. The later miles were slower because I was running head-on into the wind.

Once I got inside and into dry clothes, and had run my hands under hot water long enough to get some feeling back in them, I felt pretty good about the run.

After I got back, Clark left to pick up his dad and go surfing down in Ocean City. I spent the afternoon with Pepper, watching the NASCAR race from Martinsville. It looked like it was going to be Jimmie stupid Johnson’s day, but Kurt Busch found some speed at the end and just plain ol’ beat him on the last green flag run. It was great!

I didn’t appreciate the text I got from my friend Ben about 50 laps into the race, jokingly congratulating Bobby on how well the car he drove last year was running, because oh wait, that’s not him driving it. All I could think to send back was “hahaha…sob!”

I also took this picture of Pepper, waiting for Clark to come back:



It would be even cuter if he didn’t take off barking for the back door every time he thought he heard a noise, which was all.the.time yesterday because of the wind.

When Clark got home, we went to Salisbury for dinner. Evolution Brewery was closing early because of kitchen renovations or something, so we went to the Market Street Inn. Dinner there was just OK, but I did win us a $5 gift card to put toward the check, by being the first one to recognize a song by Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, an Annapolis-based band they used to play back in the day when 99.1 WHFS was still an alt rock station.

Today, I’m doing some strength training and taking Pepper to the trail for a short run. It’s still windy as hell out there, but at least the rain ended and the sun is out.

And since today is the last day of the month (and my last day of being 30!), it’s time for a summary.


  • Week 1 (March 1): 5.5 miles
  • Week 2 (March 2-8): 31.7
  • Week 3 (March 9-15): 21
  • Week 4 (March 16-22): 20.6
  • Week 5 (March 23-29): 21.3
  • Week 6 (March 30-31): 11.3

Total: 111.4

Back in the triple digits, finally!

As far as racing went, I successfully ran both races of Shamrock, my favorite event of the year, though I had to drop to the half this time. And then I had that crappy 5K I just posted about.

In April, I’ll continue training for the St. Michaels Half Marathon in May, and I’ll pace the 2:50 group at the Island 2 Island Half Marathon on April 26 in Ocean City. I don’t have any other races planned for this month.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: