A Simple Running Log

February 24, 2014

Training for 2/24/14

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 7:15 pm

I ran both days this weekend!

Saturday, I took Pepper to the trail for a lap around the 3-mile loop. It was the first really nice weekend we’ve had here in a while, so a lot of other people had the same idea. The parking lot had more cars in it than I’ve ever seen.

As soon as Pepper and I got out of the car, three little kids descended on him, with a million questions. Why is he wearing that harness? What happened to his tail? Why would someone cut off his tail? Hey look, he has balls! Teehee!

We got past them and onto the trail, where we ran into no fewer than six more people and four more dogs (all unleashed, of course) in the first 90 seconds.

Luckily, we had gotten past everyone else when my left foot caught a root and I pitched forward and slammed to the ground, digging a trench through the dirt with my left shoulder and hip. Go ahead and laugh, because I sure did, especially when I pictured what I must have looked like and remembered the sound I made: “AHHHH–OOF!” I’d let go of Pepper’s leash, but he just stood there staring at me, and then started inching back down the trail toward the car, as if he was hoping my wipeout would be the end of the run haha. I grabbed his retreating leash handle and told him we weren’t done yet. The rest of the run was uneventful.

That afternoon, Clark and I went to the Washington Street Pub for their oyster fest, which, for $30 each, included an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet and two 3rd Wave beers. I think we got our money’s worth in raw oysters alone. The oyster fritters, oysters Rockefeller, oysters with bacon and cheese, steamed oysters, steamed clams, clam strips, crab dip and wings were pretty awesome too.

Sunday morning, I went out for my longest run in almost two months, a lap around the 9.5-mile loop.

The weather was great — warm enough for shorts and a T-shirt, and just a little breezy — and I wasn’t sore at all from the previous day’s short run, but for some reason the whole run was an absolute struggle. I just wanted to walk the whole way. I finally let myself take a short walk break after the only measurable “incline” of the whole loop, right around the 4-mile mark. When I got running again, I couldn’t even hold my pace under 9:00/mile any longer. I was running around 9:15 the whole way. I can’t remember the last time I ran a long run at that slow of a pace.

However, I got in all the miles, which was the important thing. I ran 9.5 miles at a 9:09/mile overall average pace, and my Garmin cheerfully reported I’d hit a new “longest run,” by its measures anyway. Oh Garmin, if you only knew.

In the afternoon, we went to Mike’s house for the Daytona 500. There was plenty of food and beer, and we didn’t even mind waiting out the six-hour rain delay. In the end, Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his second 500, and Bobby avoided enough wrecks to finish 15th. He’s actually 14th in the points standings today, but that’ll change next week, since he’s not driving in the Phoenix race.

My calves were a little sore when I woke up this morning, but overall I didn’t feel too bad. I thought about doing some strength training, but I wound up taking a rest day.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: