A Simple Running Log

December 2, 2013

Training for 12/2/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 3:33 pm

Friday afternoon, I took Pepper to the trail for a short run. About halfway through, my left foot tripped over a root. I caught myself before I faceplanted, but I came down on my right foot really hard to do so. I didn’t think about it too much, and we finished the 3-mile loop and went home.

That night, Clark and I went out in Easton with my cousin Corey, who now lives within walking distance of the downtown bars. We stayed out until after 1 a.m., and when we got back to Corey’s house, he and Clark wanted to play guitar. I was exhausted, and had a 5K to run in the morning, so I took a nap on the couch. It was 3:30 a.m. when Clark and I left, and well past 4 when I finally got to bed.

My alarm went off at 6:35 a.m. I fed Pepper, got dressed and made myself a cup of coffee, something I usually avoid before running because caffeine seems to increase the odds I’ll have a digestive problem. I was so freaking tired, and I only had to make it 3.1 miles without crapping my pants, so I thought it was a good move in this case.

TK picked me up at 7:30 for the drive to Rehoboth for the Huffin’ for Pumpkin Pie 5K. We got our race bibs and event T-shirts, and then I took off for a warm up.

My right calf felt funny. Every now and then I’d land on that leg and it felt almost like the calf muscle was misfiring, for lack of a better word. I remembered the really hard landing on that foot the day before after I tripped and wondered if it was going to cause a problem.

Meanwhile, I was realizing my warm up route was longer than I’d thought. I was running what was the final straightaway of the race course, approaching the start/finish line, and looked down at my watch to see I only had a couple of minutes until the advertised 9 a.m. start. Race course marshals were already in place and telling me I better hurry it up, so I did.

Luckily, the race was a few minutes late getting started, and I found a spot in the crowd with time to spare. The race director said the race had set a new record for participation in that area — 620 people had signed up for the 5K run and 1-mile walk.

At 9:05, we got the commands and were off!

Taking off.

Taking off.

The course starts out on a long straightaway, almost a mile long. It was pretty crowded, as you can see from the picture above. There were also a ton of little kids, like 9 and under, who run for the Seashore Striders cross country team, and were already kicking my butt in the first half-mile haha.

I passed the first mile marker in 6:42. I wasn’t too optimistic I’d be able to hold that pace though.

In the summer, when there’s a lot of extra police in Rehoboth, this race course winds through the residential neighborhood after the first mile. This time of year, when the seasonal police force isn’t around, they can’t get enough police to control traffic at all the intersections in the neighborhood, so they just send us out to the boardwalk to the halfway point and then have us turn around and come back the same way.

It’s much more boring that way, but worse, the sidewalk to get onto the boardwalk and the boardwalk itself are pretty narrow, especially when you’ve got 600+ people trying to go two different directions.

I was running behind this kid who looked like he was about 16 or 17 as we approached the turnaround on the boardwalk. He was all the way to the inside, right in front of me, when we got to the cone marking the U-turn — and the kid slowed to a walk as we went around the cone. There were a couple other guys just on my outside, so I couldn’t step around him. I had to walk behind him, and thus lost a couple of steps there.

Now we were running back the other way, as everyone behind us ran toward the turnaround. It got really crowded there obviously, and there were a few times I had to slow down to avoid running into someone.

We finally got off the boardwalk and onto the road and could spread back out. I passed the second mile marker in 13:54 I think, a 7:12 second mile. Yup, definitely fell off!

Not long after, we made the turn back onto the long straightaway to the finish line. I was really hurting at this point. However, my right calf hadn’t bothered me the whole race, at least not that I’d noticed.

Someone got this picture of me around here:



I wish I could write that off as just a bad picture, but apparently that’s what I look like when I run 5Ks now, because this one was taken right at the finish:

2013 pumpkin pie 5K finish

Still dying!

I crossed the line in 21:33, a 6:57/mile average pace. I completely died after that first way-too-fast mile, yes, but at least I’m running 5Ks at a sub-7 pace again.

I walked a lap around the park after I finished, and then ran about another mile or so to cool down. I found TK, and then we went to the pavilion in the park to wait for the results and the awards.

2013 pumpkin pie 5k after race

I felt better after I put a couple layers back on.

This is the race they give pies to the age group winners. I’ve won the pie in my age group the last three years, but this year it was not meant to be. I was third; first ran 21:14 and second was only two seconds ahead of me, finishing in 21:31.

It was fine though; the pies this year were little single-serving pies, and I still had two untouched sweet potato pies leftover from Thanksgiving at home.

Top three finishers in the F 30-34 age group.

Top three finishers in the F 30-34 age group.

Officially, I was third of 29 in the F 30-34 age group, 12th of 304 women and 43rd of 553 finishers in the 5K.

TK and I got hot coffee and breakfast sandwiches from Dunkin Donuts, and then we did some shopping at the outlets. I got home late that afternoon and spent the rest of the night on the couch with Clark and Pepper. I fell asleep on the couch at some point, but I was woken up later by my left big toe, which apparently has another ingrown toenail. It was throbbing. I slathered on some Dr. Scholl’s gel and went to bed. Eventually I got back to sleep.

Sunday, I took my time getting up, eating breakfast and getting dressed. Around 11 a.m., I went out to do my long run. This was a cutback week, so I only had 8 miles on the schedule.

It was a pretty nice day for a run, a bit warmer than the day before and not much of a breeze. The ingrown toenail didn’t cause any problems, and I ran the 8.2-mile loop.

When I got home, I spent some more time lounging about on the couch, and then I finally got up the motivation to bring down the Christmas decorations. The house is all set now except for the live tree, which I still have to go get.

Today, I’ve got strength training and an easy 3-miler on the schedule. I have the Rehoboth Beach Half Marathon this coming Saturday, but I’m not tapering for it at all. My Shamrock Marathon training plan calls for a 13-mile long run next weekend, so it fits in perfectly.

I also have to do my November summary now.


  • Week 1 (Nov. 1-2): 13.1 miles
  • Week 2 (Nov. 3-9): 4
  • Week 3 (Nov. 10-16): 15.3
  • Week 4 (Nov. 17-23): 22.2
  • Week 5 (Nov. 24-30): 35.6

Total: 90.2

My third consecutive month of double-digit totals. But the weekly mileage is definitely on its way back up; barring any more stupid injuries, I should easily be back in the triple digits in December.

I ran a decent half marathon and then two 5Ks in November, getting my pace back down about to where it was at the beginning of this summer. I’m not as far behind as I’d thought after all the time off, which is good.

In December, the Rehoboth half marathon is the only race I have planned. Other than that, it’s just marathon training runs.



  1. Geesh. Abby, you’re a beast! That’s a kick-ass time for drinking the night before and having some calf issues! (I hate the boardwalk part of that race – they did it for Seawitch, too. I can’t imagine 600+ on the boardwalk – ugh!)

    Comment by kafishgirl — December 2, 2013 @ 6:20 pm | Reply

  2. Haha I didn’t drink much Friday night because I kept expecting to be driving home any minute, so I wasn’t at all hungover, but I was still pretty freaking tired. They ran the same course for this race last year but I think there were about 200 fewer people. Definitely crowded!

    Comment by aschmid3 — December 2, 2013 @ 6:32 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: