A Simple Running Log

June 17, 2013

Training for 6/17/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 2:17 pm

I had a couple of tough runs this weekend!

Saturday morning, I set out to do my long run for the week, a lap around the 10.5-mile loop. This would be my first double digit run since the half marathon in St. Michaels almost a month ago.

Since I was training for that half, the weather has warmed up quite a bit. It’s no longer a good idea to wait until 10 a.m. to start a long run, but that’s what I did Saturday. It didn’t feel unbearably hot when I stepped outside, but I could tell it was going to feel that way after I’d been running for a while.

I at least thought to take my water bottle with me. I sipped on it every 1.5 miles or so. I was feeling OK until about mile 7. The temperature was starting to get to me, and the rest of the way home was a road with absolutely no shade. Luckily, a few clouds rolled over the sun and gave me a little bit of a reprieve; otherwise I might still be out there. It was a sucky run.

When I got home, I drank some chocolate milk and stretched a lot. That afternoon, Clark and I went to a birthday party for my friend Julie. Before we left though, Clark was showing off how well he can hold a spoon on his nose:

clark spoon

I’ve never been able to do that, but he insisted I try. I kinda got it, but you can see it’s being held up as much by my chin haha:

I like how the sunlight behind me makes my teeth look radioactive.

I like how the sunlight behind me makes my teeth look radioactive.

Anyway, we went to the party for a little while, but had to leave early because we’d both put off buying Father’s Day gifts for our dads. By the time we got home from that, it was already after 9 p.m. Clark went back to the party, but I stayed home because I had to be up so early the next day for the 5K.

I got up at 5:30 a.m. Sunday and was ready to go by the time TK picked me up at 6. We drove down to Rehoboth and parked right in front of the Dunkin Donuts on the main drag because we knew we’d want coffee after. We got our bibs and event T-shirts and hit the bathrooms. I had just enough time to run a very short warm up, not even a half mile, and then I got in the pack at the start line.

It was a warmish morning, but not yet hot, and we had a little cloud cover until right before the race started, of course. I wasn’t expecting much out of the race since I’d just run long the day before, so I didn’t want to start too far up, but last year, they had to go by gun times after the chips screwed up, so I didn’t want to start too far back either. I was about three rows from the front when we got the start commands.

This course is on the boring side, just some loops through some residential streets. I could tell in the first 10th of a mile it was going to be a sucky race! My legs did not have much pep in them.

The first mile seemed to last forever, which is always a bad sign in a 5K for me, because it’s usually the fastest. I finally passed the first mile marker in 6:41, which actually wasn’t bad.

Clearly I was already starting to fade in the second mile though, because when the second marker appeared, my watch was at 13:51 — a 7:10 second mile. Ouch!

I tried to pick it up in the third mile, or at least not slow down even further. I was getting hot, my legs were sapped and I was completely over the whole thing. We finally made the last turn back onto the road where we’d started, and I could see the finish in the distance. I tried to give what little bit of a kick I had left:

Clark said I just look angry here.

Clark said I just look angry here.

I crossed the line in 21:29 by my watch, 21:28 by my chip and 21:31 by the gun. Either way, a slower average pace than the 5-miler I ran a few weeks ago. What a difference a few degrees can make when you’re running!

I walked a little after, but I didn’t feel like running a cool down. I walked back to the finish line and got to see my friend Allison crush her PR by more than two minutes.

While I was waiting for TK to finish, I saw a young girl and her dad finish. The dad said it was her first 5K, which I thought was cute, because she’d run it with her dad on Father’s Day. I was looking through the finish line pictures when I saw theirs:

ruined finish photo

If it was just another person blocking them in the frame, it would just be another crappy finish line photo. But the look on the other guy’s face is what is making me laugh uncontrollably every time I look at it!

I also liked this picture, for the looks on the faces of the little boys on the sidelines watching the girl go flying by on her way to the finish.

girl at the line

When they posted the results, I’d won first in my age group of 17 runners (2 for 2 in the summer series so far!) I was also the seventh overall woman out of 181, and the 53rd overall finisher out of 412.

Allison, TK and I hung around at the after party long enough for me to get my award and all three of us to get a complimentary 16 Mile beer, which was nice, and then Allison and I walked a street over and found the house we’re now definitely renting for the Rehoboth half and full marathon in December:

beach house

By this time, it had warmed up and turned into a nice beach day. TK and I got our iced coffees from Dunkin Donuts and drove to Fenwick, to my in-laws’ beach house. Chad and Samira were spending the weekend there, and Clark and Pepper had just arrived too.

Clark wanted to drive down to Assateague again to go surfing, but TK and I just wanted to lay out on the beach, so we agreed to take Pepper across the street in Fenwick. Technically, dogs aren’t allowed on the beaches between a little before Memorial Day and a little after Labor Day, but Fenwick never gets very crowded, so I didn’t think anyone would really care as long as Pepper wasn’t bothering them.

We took an umbrella with us just for Pepper, and once we finally got him to lie down in the shade, the three of us were just enjoying the day. An hour later though, one of the lifeguards came down off the stand and almost apologetically informed me Pepper wasn’t allowed on the beach. He even told us where the state park beach started about a half-mile north and said Pepper would be welcome there.

Later, Clark said I should have told the guy Pepper was my dad, and he’s really sensitive about people thinking he looks like a dog and now the lifeguard had ruined Father’s Day and THANKS A LOT, but I didn’t think of any of that at the moment, so TK and I just packed up all our stuff and walked back to the beach house.

TK went home to see her own dad, and I sat out by the canal until Clark got back from Assateague. We all grilled lunch there at the house, and then Clark and I left too. Clark wanted to get a growler refilled for his dad for Father’s Day, so we drove back to Rehoboth to Dogfish Head. As long as we were there, we figured we might as well have a beer, so we sat on the outdoor deck with Pepper and had some. When we went back to the truck, we had a parking ticket. D’oh! I spend enough time at the beach in the off season, when the meters aren’t running, that I always forget when they are.

We drove home, showered and then went to see Clark’s parents and mine. It was almost 11 p.m. when we finally got home. I was beat.

I didn’t do the strength training and easy run on the schedule this morning, so I’ll have to do it tonight after work.


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: