A Simple Running Log

April 29, 2013

Training for 4/29/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 4:24 pm

I had a pretty good weekend.

Friday night, I stopped by my uncle’s house after work to pick up the Richmond tickets, and then I stopped by my parents’ house to drop off my mom’s cake plate, which I’ve had since my birthday. Mom mentioned my dad had just gotten new baby chicks in the chicken house that afternoon, after getting all new litter, so I had to see them on my way out.

Brand new chicks in house No. 2.

Brand new chicks in house No. 2.

angry chick

It’s been a long time since I’ve been around my parents’ house the day they dropped off the new chicks, but I don’t remember them being quite so… bold. They used to run away from me. Friday, they were swarming all over me and pecking anything they could reach.

My foot overtaken by a swarm of baby chicks.

My foot overtaken by a swarm of baby chicks.

Anyway, it was fun to see them again, but when I stepped outside, I remembered one of the most annoying things about living on a farm:

dirty car

Not that my car is ever really clean, but this thick layer of dirt was just from driving up and down my uncle’s lane, and then driving down my parents’.

Saturday morning, I got up with plenty of time to do my long run, which was supposed to be two hours long this time around. It was just about a perfect day for a long run, as far as the weather was concerned.

The run was OK. It was better than last week’s, but it didn’t feel as easy as I would have liked. I ran my 14.5-mile loop in 2:00:33, so at least I got the time right. That was an 8:19/mile average pace, according to the Garmin.

A half-mile from home, I was standing at the end of a road, waiting for a couple of trucks to go by so I could cross, when I realized the second one in line was my brother. He didn’t even stop to say hi, just rolled on by while laying on the horn, haha. He later said he didn’t stop because I looked like I was “in the zone.” I was standing still!

I did some stretching and talked to Kara about how her 10K had gone that morning, and then I got ready for Richmond.

We wound up leaving around 2:30 p.m. The race was to start at 7:30 p.m., and the drive is about 3.5 hours, plus we had to make a couple of stops to pick up beer and food for tailgating. Luckily, traffic wasn’t too bad, even around D.C., and we got there in time to fire up the grill and make some burgers before we went in.

It turned out to be a perfect evening to watch what was a pretty exciting race. Kevin Harvick came from seventh with two laps to go to win, Jimmie stupid Johnson was never a factor all night and Bobby even had an OK finish, coming home 19th. Any race where he’s in the top half of the finishing order is a good race these days.

Looking down the front stretch toward the start-finish line.

Looking down the front stretch toward the start-finish line.

Mike and Clark.

Mike and Clark.

I was asleep before we even got out of the parking lot. I woke up in time to see the presumably drunk driver going the wrong way down Route 50 past Annapolis. Clark said the car was in the center lane, swerving wildly and flying. I really hope that moron didn’t cause a collision.

We didn’t see any more drunk drivers on the way home, just a ton of deer, and we arrived around 3:30 a.m.

I got out of bed a little after 10 a.m. yesterday. It was another beautiful day for a run, but I wasn’t quite feeling up to it yet, haha. I ate some breakfast and did some chores that really needed to be done. I was feeling much closer to normal by that afternoon, so I went out to the trail for an easy 5-miler.

I didn’t take Pepper with me, because I figured he’d want to run much faster than I felt like, and he’d get confused when we finished the first loop and I wanted to keep running instead of getting in the car and going home.

I was really glad I’d left him home, because there were a few other people on the trail, and they all had dogs with them. One was this huge Lab, and it was down in the stream under a bridge we cross, splashing around and fetching a stick its owner was throwing for it. Pepper would have crapped his pants!

I took it really easy for the whole run, and finished 5.2 miles at an 8:54/mile average.

That evening, Clark and I went to Salisbury, so I could get a bridal shower gift for next weekend. We took Pepper with us too, and went to the Evo Public House for dinner. It had gotten a little chilly, but we sat outside so Pepper could stay with us. We were the only ones eating outside by that point. There was a steady stream of people coming and going from the restaurant though, and a lot of them wanted to pet Pepper and tell him how pretty he is. That dog just eats it up, haha.

This morning, it was raining when we woke up. Of course, that meant Pepper just took a quick pee after breakfast and then wanted to be let back in. I let him in, because I knew I’d have plenty of time to stand in the rain with him until he took a dump out there after my run.

I did an easy 3-miler, getting completely drenched in the process, and then got Clark to let Pepper out. I stood in the backyard with him until he finally gave up and took care of business.

Tonight, I’ll do my strength training as planned.



  1. Baby chickens! It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve seen them, they are still just so darn cute šŸ™‚

    Comment by Laura — April 30, 2013 @ 1:20 pm | Reply

    • You’d think we of all people would be tired of them by now!

      Comment by aschmid3 — April 30, 2013 @ 4:03 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: