A Simple Running Log

April 2, 2013

Training for 4/2/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 4:51 pm

I am an Old.

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. I took the day off to hang out with Pepper and get my driver’s license renewed. That’s about all there is to do when your birthday lands on a Monday. Oh well. It was better than spending it at work, that’s for sure.

I did have a pretty good weekend.

Saturday morning, I did my 90-minute long run. Last week, the 10.5-mile loop was a little short of 90 minutes, so this week, I did my 11.2-mile loop instead.

It was a decent day for a run, since I waited until late enough in the morning to do it that I didn’t have to wear layers or full-length tights. I ran the loop in 1:29:17, a 7:57/mile average pace.

That evening, Clark and I went to Matt and Jamie’s wedding. The ceremony was held in a barn on her family’s farm. It was a lovely and very appropriate ceremony for two farm kids — the preacher wore jeans and used two pieces of metal from different pieces of farm equipment, welded together, to symbolize the bonds of marriage, and the bride and groom poured dirt from their respective families’ farms, instead of boring old colored sand, into one jar to represent becoming one.

Jamie and her dad coming down the aisle.

Jamie coming down the aisle.

Jamie and Matt reciting their vows.

Jamie and Matt reciting their vows.

The reception was at the East New Market fire hall. We had a buffet dinner and Funfetti wedding cake (Saturday was also Matt’s birthday, and apparently that’s his favorite birthday cake) and I got to catch up with some of my favorite people, the Taylors.

Allison and Laura, my "other sisters" (or am I the Other Sister?) and me.

Allison and Laura, sisters of the groom and my “other sisters” (or am I the Other Sister?) and me.

Clark and Ben, brother of the groom.

Clark and Ben, brother of the groom.

Jamie and Matt Taylor!

Jamie and Matt Taylor!

After the reception, Clark and I went to the High Spot in Cambridge to see what was on their beer menu for the evening. We weren’t hungry, having just come from a wedding and all, but they had chicken and waffles a la Maryland’s Eastern Shore on the menu. Clark has been obsessed with finding good chicken and waffles since he tried those Lays potato chips a month ago, so we split an order. They were actually pretty tasty. Weird, but tasty.

Sunday was Easter. I started the day with a trail run with Pepper. It was supposed to be 3 miles at goal half marathon pace, but I wasn’t really worried about that.

It was a pretty routine lap around the trail loop. My favorite part was when we met a guy and his two kids walking along the trail, and when the kids tried to pet Pepper as we passed, he kinda crab-walked to the side to avoid them, haha. They looked disappointed, but Pepper looked pretty relieved he’d gotten away from them.

I went to church later in the morning, and then we spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with family. First we went to Clark’s parents’ house for lunch, where we had fried oysters and a crab meat casserole, and then we went to my parents’ house for dinner, which was fried chicken and the more traditional ham.

I figured my mom would make a birthday cake for me for dessert, since it was the day before my birthday, and probably one for my dad, since it was the day after his, but I was not expecting what actually happened.

My Aunt Helen retired last year after 42 years as a teacher and principal. She’s been taking some watercolor painting classes, but other than that, I don’t think she’s had much to occupy her time.

Then I hit a milestone birthday, and she made it a project. And even though Clark’s 30th birthday was more than two months ago, he got lumped into the whole thing too.

Aunt Helen bought all this 30th birthday crap at Party City, and recruited everyone to give Clark and me 30-themed birthday gifts.

The pile.

The pile.

We got 30-packs of beer; a growler with 60 oz. (30 for each of us) of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA; 30 mini Cadbury Creme Eggs to “refuel” after a marathon and some Burt’s Bees foot cream to repair my feet after one (my feet need a lot more than a slathering of cream to look decent again, but nice try); matching 30th birthday Tervis tumblers, beer steins and coffee mugs; 30th birthday flip-flops; a magnetic picture frame; and a Darth Vader lunchbox filled with sugar to keep a 30-year-old awake at work. Kara also gave me a pair of Experia running socks and a three-pack of Chapstick, and my parents gave me a new coat.

And these were the glasses Clark and I had to wear for the whole thing:


Woe be to Corey and Dave, who will both hit 30 next year, and Julie, who will be 21 next year. Aunt Helen is already working on ideas for their parties, haha.

These were the birthday cakes:

Icebox cake on the left, strawberry angel food on the right.

Icebox cake on the left, strawberry angel food on the right.

Then I got more pictures.

Aunt Gail.

Aunt Gail.

Kara and my nephew Jacob, who can do a ton more pull-ups and push-ups then I'll ever be able to.

Kara and my nephew Jacob, who can do a ton more pull-ups and push-ups then I’ll ever be able to.

Jacob and his twin brother, Caleb.

Jacob and his twin brother, Caleb.

Aunt Debbie packing up her homemade coconut eggs.

Aunt Debbie packing up her homemade coconut eggs.

Bunch of Schmidts sittin' around rambling.

Bunch of Schmidts sittin’ around rambling.

Favorite picture of the night, just for Corey's expression on the far right.

Favorite picture of the night, just for Corey’s expression on the far right.

That one's pretty good too, haha.

That one’s pretty good too, haha.



Me, Kara, Mom and Julie.

Me, Kara, Mom and Julie.

Yesterday, I didn’t do too much, besides get old. It was a really nice day at least. Around noon, Pepper and I finally went out for the easy 3-miler I had on the schedule. I got to wear shorts and a short-sleeved T-shirt, and Pepper didn’t need his jacket.

Last night, when Clark got home, I intended to do my strength training, but sitting on the couch and drinking a beer and eating a mushroom, onion and Swiss-covered burger and leftover Easter candy sounded better, haha.

This morning, I had to be at work early and stay late, so instead of getting up even earlier to do today’s run, I just brought running clothes to work. I’ll do the eight 400-meter repeats on the schedule later this afternoon, before my night meeting.

And since today is my first post of a new month, I have to do March’s summary.


  • Week 1 (March 1-2): 7.5 miles
  • Week 2 (March 3-9): 38.5
  • Week 3 (March 10-16): 24.2
  • Week 4 (March 17-23): 29.2
  • Week 5 (March 24-31): 41.7

Total: 140.9 miles

This puts me at exactly 500 miles, a quarter of the way through the year, on track to hit 2,000 again.

The best part of March was Shamrock. I did the Whale Challenge again, and a lot faster than last year, including a new PR in the marathon.

I didn’t race anything else in March. Now I’m training for the St. Michaels Half Marathon in May.

In April, I’m pretty sure I’ll do the Seashore Classic Half Marathon as a training run in a couple of weeks, though I haven’t registered yet. I was thinking about the Oxford Day 10K on April 27, but now my uncle has offered Clark and me his tickets to the Richmond race that night and sorry, running, NASCAR is still my priority. I haven’t been to a Richmond race in years, so I’m pretty excited about that!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: