A Simple Running Log

February 18, 2013

Training for 2/18/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 8:48 pm

You know what I’m sick of? Winter. Seriously, screw off, winter.

This weekend, I intended to run the easy 10-miler and 20-mile long run I didn’t do last weekend because of that cold. Saturday morning, I woke up to a lovely pouring rain/snow mix.

It took me until 12:30 p.m. to convince myself to go out in that, and that was only because Clark had a retirement party to go to at 3 p.m. and if I waited any longer I’d probably miss my chance altogether. It was cold enough to need tights, a compression mock neck top with a winter running jacket over it, gloves and an earband, but raining hard enough to need a baseball hat with a brim under the earband as well.

I layered up and headed out. It wasn’t a terrible run, but it wasn’t much fun either. I was over it by the time I made it to Galestown, and slogged through the last three miles. I finished the 10.5-mile loop in about 1:27, an 8:16/mile average.

I was happy to get out of all my soaking wet clothes when I got home. I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around. Clark went to the retirement party. That evening, we had a few people over to watch the Sprint Unlimited. Except for a big wreck early on that claimed Jimmie Johnson, it wasn’t a very exciting race this year. Kevin Harvick won.

Sunday morning was nice and sunny, but much colder than the day before, and windy. I believe the preferred term is “blustery.”

Things weren’t looking good for 20 miles. As I ate breakfast, a little voice was already reminding me, “It’s just a cutback week on the schedule, and you have another 20-miler next weekend anyway…”

And look how the little trees lining the backyard were practically laying over due to all that wind!

I decided to go to Trap Pond State Park and run… something. The 5-mile boundary trail would be pretty well protected from the wind by the trees, and maybe once I got going, I’d feel like doing all 20.

I drove to the state park and took off, with my water bottle and a pack of Jelly Belly Sport Beans. Everything on me was cold, but by the end of the first mile or so, I felt better. Except my feet — they were just about numb.

The first half of the loop wasn’t bad. I got the crap scared out of me by this giant wolf-sized dog that was standing right off the trail, but luckily, it was on a leash, being held by a woman standing even farther off the trail (?) and it only barked its head off at me. I even saw another runner who had on a hydration pack, so I figured he was probably doing his long run out there for the same reason I was.

Then I left the clearly-marked gravel path that makes up the first half of the boundary trail, ran a short stint down a road and got on the poorly-marked equestrian trail that makes up most of the second half. It had snowed a little the night before, and I was apparently the first person to try to follow the trail since then. There was also a ton of tree branches and other debris blown all over the place. This was the part of the trail on which I got lost when Kara and I ran it in November.

I was staying on the trail OK, and then all of a sudden, I was good and lost. I couldn’t find my way back to where I’d wandered off the trail, either. I trudged through the woods for a while, trying to find any trace of the stupid trail. When I got to a deep ditch, I knew I was way off.

I followed the ditch, until it made a 90-degree turn. I kept walking the direction I had been going, and I finally hooked back up with the trail.

Not long after that, the trail crossed over that ditch, which had quite a bit of water in it. My feet had never really warmed up, and were already a little damp from the snow, and I was really pissed off by the thought of thoroughly soaking my feet. I don’t know how, but I managed to clear the ditch on a single jump, luckily.

Not long after that, the trail dumped me back out on the road. I crossed the road and followed a wider, more easy-to-see trail back to the parking lot where I’d started. I had to pee pretty bad, so I used the bathroom.

When I left the bathroom, I thought about doing at least one more lap. But the wind was cutting through my damp clothes, and the thought of running that second section of the trail again and trying not to get lost and trying to clear that ditch was not appealing. My car, on the other hand, parked 100 feet away, looked about the most appealing it ever has.

I gave in. A mere five miles into what was supposed to be a 20-miler, I just got in my car and drove away. It felt so nice and warm and un-windy in the car, I didn’t even feel bad about wimping out like that.

The rest of yesterday was pretty damn lazy. We watched qualifying for the front row of the Daytona 500. Danica Patrick became the first woman to win the pole position for a Sprint Cup race. For some reason, that made me feel guilty for skipping out on 75 percent of my long run that morning. Here she is being awesome and making history, and I’m just being the stereotypical wimpy girl. Not that it got me off the couch to do the other 15 miles though — it was still cold and windy outside, after all.

I found out Jimmie Johnson ran the half marathon that morning in 1:29, and was immediately pissed that he would have beaten me so bad, haha. He wasn’t even the fastest of the four drivers who ran it — Kasey Kahne ran a freaking 1:28. Aric Almirola ran a 1:46, and Michael Waltrip a 2:07, so I can say I’d have beaten two of the professional athletes at least.

This morning somehow managed to be even colder, and it was still windy. Better yet, when we woke up, we found the battery in the thermostat had died overnight, and the heat was off. Since it really wasn’t at all warm in the house anyway, there was no excuse to not do my scheduled easy run.

By the time I got home, Clark had gone in town, found an open gas station, gotten a pack of AAA batteries and gotten the thermostat turned back on, and it’d already warmed up to a balmy 53 degrees inside.

I ate some breakfast and then went upstairs for strength training. However, the only light bulb in the attic had burned out. (Both bulbs in the utility room and one of the bulbs in the kitchen had also burned out since Friday, which is weird, right?) So I just brought downstairs the stability ball, pull-ups bar and some weights, and did what I could downstairs. I did push-ups, ab exercises, invisible chair-sitting, weights and stretching.

This is my last week of training for Shamrock before the taper begins. Between the traveling, the sickness and then the recent cold snap, this month has not gone according to plan for the most part. I am determined to kill this final week of hard training. I have my longest track workout of the entire training cycle tomorrow morning, another 40-minute tempo run Thursday, 10 miles at goal marathon pace Saturday and the final 20-miler Sunday. No more excuses!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: