A Simple Running Log

January 28, 2013

Training for 1/28/13

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 5:17 pm

Today is Clark’s 30th birthday!



I’ve been teasing him about how embarrassing it is to be married to such an old man, but really, 30 looks good on him. I’m treating him to dinner at Stone Brewery’s restaurant while we’re out in California next week. Tonight, his parents are having us over for dinner. Which means there will be cake for dessert, of course!

So, Saturday. I had a 10-mile easy run on the schedule. It snowed a little Friday evening as predicted, maybe an inch at the most. The road we live on was pretty clear by Saturday morning when I was ready to go, but I was confident the rest of the back roads on my 10.5-mile route would still have a solid coating of snow and ice, so I wore my trail shoes.

I was right. After the first mile, the rest of the run was in snow, slush and ice. Once again, the trail shoes worked like a charm, and I had an easy time getting in my miles.

It was sunny too, so I also wore Clark’s Oakley sunglasses, since it was reflecting off the snow.

About 6.5 miles into the run, I passed a Jeep Grand Cherokee parked near the entrance to a random gum tree preserve in the middle of nowhere. I couldn’t see inside it, but the headlights were on, so I assumed someone was sitting in it and waved as I ran past.

I saw the driver’s door open and figured the driver was saying something. I stopped and turned around, pulling out my earbuds, and said, “What? I couldn’t hear you.”

“You’re beautiful!” the guy called back at me.

I don’t know how he could know that; all anyone could see of me was the bottom half of my face. The rest of me was completely covered up. But I said “thank you,” stuck my earbuds back in my ears and went on my way.

A few miles later, I was less than a mile from home, when that same Jeep passed me from behind. As it went by, I saw a kid who looked to be about 13 or 14 in the back seat, waving at me from his open window. Um, OK.

I finished up the loop. I didn’t time it because I figured the snow would slow me down, and it was supposed to be an easy run anyway, so time didn’t matter. I felt pretty good after that run.

That afternoon, I went to TK’s house for our friends’ Christmas gift exchange. We had chili, red velvet cupcakes and beer. That evening, Clark and I stayed in and had pizza for dinner. I was feeling sufficiently fueled up for the next morning’s 20-miler.

Yesterday, I had a tough time getting motivated to run. It doesn’t matter how many times I do these marathon training cycles, 20 miles just sounds like such an impossibly long way to run. Plus, I was sick and tired of a week straight of below-freezing temperatures, wind and snow. I ate breakfast and filled up my water bottle, but after that, I laid back down.

Clark reminded me the miles weren’t going to run themselves, and then he said he was planning to run the 7.2-mile loop that afternoon, so by putting off my own run, I was also putting off his.

That finally did the trick. I pulled myself back out of bed and got dressed. Right before I left, Clark suggested we run the final 7.2 miles together, and take Pepper with us. I immediately agreed. Now my solo 20-miler was just a lap around my 12.8-mile loop. Much better!

I wore my trail shoes again, which turned out to be totally unnecessary. Except for a couple of patches, the back roads had cleared up the day before.

Again, I didn’t time this run. The roads were clear enough I could have, but I didn’t want to. I just wanted to get in the miles at a steady pace and not feel like death at the end like I did last week.

It was an uneventful run, until about a half-mile from home. There’s a house on the corner I pass just about every day. Often, there are two dogs in the yard, a Pomeranian and a big boxer-looking dog. They bark at me every time, but they never leave the yard.

Until yesterday! I was passing on the opposite side of the road from the yard. As usual, the little Pomeranian spotted me first and started yapping at me from the edge of the yard. Then the boxer appeared. Instead of stopping at the edge of the yard too, it blasted out into the road, coming right for me.

Being charged by a not very friendly-looking dog is bad enough, but the stupid dog ran out right in front of an oncoming van. I thought it was toast. I stopped where I was and yelled at it to try to scare it back into the yard, but the dog looked like it had one thing on its mind, and that was taking a chunk out of my ass.

Luckily, the woman driving the van was paying attention, and she stopped. The dog ran out to where it was about 2 ft. from me, and then stopped and got this weird look on its face, like it didn’t know what to do now. It turned around and went back to the yard.

The woman in the van asked me if I was OK. I said I was fine. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen that dog leave the yard like that. We both went on our way.

I finished up the 12.8-mile loop and went inside. Clark ate some lunch, I had a muffin and some coffee, and then he and Pepper got dressed to join me for the last several miles of my run. I left the trail shoes at home and wore my Zeroes.

There was one point, about a quarter-mile from home, that Pepper got a little over-excited and started leaping on Clark and me, but we got him straightened out. The run went pretty well after that. We stopped and walked a bit when Clark wanted to, but for the most part, it felt like a pretty typical long run pace for me. Pepper was pulling hard on the leash the whole time, but that’s normal.

I felt really good through the whole run. I’m sure having Clark and Pepper there helped, but I definitely felt a lot better around miles 18 and 19 than I did last week.

When we passed that same house on the corner near home, neither dog was in the yard, much to my relief.

When we were back on our road, and close to home, Clark decided to pour on the speed for the final stretch. He went blowing by Pepper and me. Of course, Pepper wanted to play too. He sped up to a full gallop, which meant I had to also. We caught up to Clark but we couldn’t get by him.

And that was the end of 20 miles on the day for me. In total, the three of us ran almost 35 miles yesterday. Clark and I did some stretching and took showers. Last night, we just ordered in for dinner.

This morning, we got a little wintry mix of freezing rain. I had a 4.5-mile recovery run on the schedule. I wore my 890s. It didn’t look like a trail shoes kind of day.

It was mostly just rain by the time I left the house, with a little ice thrown in. The roads were a little slick, but not bad. Traffic was rolling by at its normal pace and school buses were running on time.

I did the 4.5-mile loop. After breakfast, I did some push-ups, ab exercises, invisible chair-sitting and a lot of stretching downstairs.

And by the way, today’s run pushed me over the 200-mile mark for a single month for the first time since September.

In six days, Clark and I are running the Surf City Half Marathon. I love finding out my bib number, and when I checked yesterday, they had been posted. I’m No. 5845, and Clark is 5406. It’s almost here!


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: