A Simple Running Log

October 26, 2012

Training for 10/26/12

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 3:26 pm

Last night, I did the strength training I would have done this morning — abs, push-ups, invisible chair-sitting and weights — so I could take today as a total rest day. All I did this morning was some stretching and foam rolling.

If I’m going to get in a lot of miles this weekend, it looks like it’s going to have to be tomorrow or nothing, thanks to this stupid “Frankenstorm” that’s supposed to descend on the Mid-Atlantic on Sunday. There’s a 30 percent chance the hurricane will just head out to sea or hit the East Coast farther north, but there’s a 70 percent chance it’s going to hit the East Coast right here, and slam into a winter storm coming from the other direction. Perfect.

As much as my Sunday (and probably Monday and Tuesday) are going to suck, I feel bad for anyone involved with the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. on Sunday. First for all the runners, who had to sign up for this back in April and have been training ever since, and then for all the organizers, because after the freak snowstorm that hit the weekend of last year’s race, I bet they never thought they’d be dealing with another extreme weather event this year. And of course there are the spectators too. Those poor shmucks have to be out there as long as their friend or family member is running, and they don’t even get a medal when it’s over.

That is, of course, if this storm even happens the way they’ve been hyping it. It wouldn’t be the first time they warned us of an apocalypse and all we got was a little wind and rain.

Either way, I’m hitting up Walmart today for ingredients to make some pumpkin muffins and turkey chili. If I’m going to be stuck inside all day Sunday while it pours its ass off, I’m at least going to have something good to eat.

So, tomorrow. I’m just going to get in all the miles I can, I guess. The race doesn’t start until 10 a.m. in Denton, so I’ll probably get up early and do my 5.5-mile loop at home. In Denton, I’ll do the 5K and a couple of cool down miles, and then I’ll do another loop when I get home, of whatever distance I feel up to. It’s a less than ideal way to do a long run, but it’s better than nothing.

It sounds like we’ll still be able to go out for Halloween tomorrow night, before the storm really gets going. It figures the first time in eight freaking years I actually get up the motivation to dress up and go out for Halloween, a stupid hurricane comes along.

Sunday looks like it’ll be a wash. If it’s not too bad in the morning, I might go out for a short run in the rain and wind. Otherwise, I’ll just be at home, stuffing my face, watching NASCAR and football and waiting for the storm to blow over.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: