A Simple Running Log

June 18, 2012

Training for 6/18/12

Filed under: Uncategorized — aschmid3 @ 3:13 pm

This morning, I slept in a little so I could hold off on the strength training and just do my run. I made Pepper leave Clark’s side to run with me. He’s been lying around so much the past couple of weeks, between Clark being home recovering and that allergic rash Pepper got on his paws, that he actually started to get a little fat around his neck. We started calling him Jelly Roll, haha.

He wasn’t happy at first, but by the end of the first mile, he started to enjoy himself. Then he found a stick to carry in his mouth about three miles in and he really took off. The last 1.5 miles were a lot faster than I should have been running an easy run, but Pepper was happy, so I just went with it.

I did a little stretching when I got home. Tonight, when I get home from work, I’ll have to do my strength training.

Anyway, this weekend went OK. I pretty much screwed myself over for the race yesterday morning, but my long run went really well at least.

Saturday morning, I did 12 miles. First I ran nine on the road by myself at about an 8:36/mile pace. Then I took Pepper to the trail to do three more. It wasn’t a terribly warm day Saturday, but it was sunny, and I’d waited until late in the morning to run, so I figured Pepper would overheat if I made him run on the road.

After my run, I lounged around for a while. When Clark was eating his lunch, which was a leftover chicken breast, Pepper showed us his advanced interpretation of the “sit” command, in the hopes he would be rewarded with some of Clark’s chicken:

Notice he even threw in a paw shake for good measure.

I finally cleaned the house after lunch, and then it was time to get ready to go out with Julie for her birthday. I met Julie and two of her co-workers at one of her co-worker’s house in Federalsburg, and we all rode to the Preston fire hall for a live band they had playing that night.

Julie and me riding to Preston.

When we got there, there weren’t many people at the fire hall, but we paid to go in anyway. Our entry fees included two free drinks. I was excited until I found out the only beers available were Bud Light and Michelob Ultra.

One of Julie’s co-workers bought a tray of JELL-O shots, which the four of us shared. Eventually we wandered out to the dance floor. There were times we were literally the only people out there dancing, but we had a good time.

Near the end of the night, after a handful of weak JELL-O shots and a few even weaker Michelob Ultras, I didn’t even have a buzz, which was a good thing since I still had to run a 5K in the morning.

Then came a couple of bad decisions. First, I accepted a tequila shot from a friend who bought one each for Julie and me, and there was enough in there it was at least two, maybe three shots. I also hate tequila, but it would have been rude to turn it down, you know? Next, when the band finished at midnight, instead of going back to Julie’s co-worker’s house, we went to a bar that didn’t close until 2 a.m. I only had one more beer at the bar, but I was just getting really, really tired. I think we stayed until close to closing time.

I slept in a chair in Julie’s co-worker’s living room, and just happened to wake up around 5 a.m. I had just enough time to drive home, change into my running clothes, eat some breakfast and be ready to go when TK got to my house at 6 for the drive to Rehoboth.

I wasn’t hungover, I was just completely exhausted, having only gotten three hours of sleep in a chair. My head felt fuzzy and I just wanted to go to sleep.

We got to the race site a little later than usual. We had plenty of time to get our race bibs, which had timing chips again, and T-shirts, but there was no time for my usual warm up mile or two. Not that I was too devastated about it. I just wanted to get these 3.1 miles over with so I could go back to bed.

There were more than 400 runners for this race. Since the bibs had timing chips, I assumed gun time wouldn’t matter, and I was feeling like crap anyway, so I lined up pretty far off the start line. When they let us go, it took me seven or eight seconds to get over the start line.

I don’t think I’ve ever run on so little sleep before. It was a weird feeling; I felt a little disconnected from my own legs. But I was flying past a lot of the runners I’d started behind, and my legs didn’t feel too bad in spite of the long run the day before.

The race actually went really fast. I wasn’t concerned about time at all, so the mile markers came quickly, even though I wasn’t running as fast as last week. It was also a perfect morning to run a race, very cool and overcast, so it was a shame I’d botched it by staying out so late the night before.

Anyway, I passed the first mile marker in 7:02. I fell off a bit in the second mile, passing the second marker in 14:18. But I picked it back up for the final mile, passing the third marker in 21:18. I crossed the line in 22:05 by my watch, but 22:12 by the race clock, since I’d started so far off the start line.

Crossing the line. I’m curious about why one of the runners who finished right in front of me is patting the other one on the head.

Well. That certainly went better than I’d expected. Not a particularly spectacular 5K time for me by any means, but it was only 20 seconds off my time from last week.

I walked a little down the boardwalk to cool down, but I didn’t even entertain the thought of running any farther. I’d had enough. I walked straight to my car, put my shirt back on and exchanged my running shoes for my flip flops. I got back to the finish line in time to see TK finish.

Rita’s Italian Ice was  back for this race, so we got in line to get our free ice. We went to the Rehoboth Ale House after that for the post-race party and awards.

TK and me in the Rehoboth Ale House. I would like to point out that right behind me is an autographed picture of Terrell Suggs sacking Ben Roethlisberger while forcing a fumble.

There was another snafu with the timing chips, just like at the Masser 5-Miler a few weeks ago, but this time, they’d also pulled our bib tags and video taped the finish as a backup. It took quite a while for them to get the awards figured out, and they wound up having to use gun times to set the finishing order, but I still managed to get first in my age group, out of 10 runners.

Accepting my award.

I was also ninth female, out of 175, and 63rd overall out of 409 runners.

I later noticed something odd about my age group award:

I won the men’s 25-29 age group, haha.

I know I’m not that well endowed up top, but no one’s ever mistaken me for a dude before!

It was not a good beach day, so TK and I just got hot coffee from the Dunkin Donuts on the boardwalk and went home. Clark and Pepper had already left to go spend Fathers Day at the beach house when I got home, so I just snoozed on the couch much of the afternoon.

I finally got up, showered, went to Dairy Queen to get my dad a gift card and then went to my parents’ house to see my dad. My brother and older sister were there too, and it turned out we had all gotten our dad DQ gift cards, haha. He loves their burgers and Blizzards.

We watched Dale Earnhardt Jr. break his four-year losing streak in the race. When I got in my car to go home, the radio was still tuned to the NASCAR station on Sirius, and there was already some stupid fan spouting off about how NASCAR had fixed the race so Jr. would win on Fathers Day. The woman hosting the show pointed out if NASCAR was going to fix a race so Jr. would win, it would have done it a long time ago. I hate those stupid conspiracy theorists. There is always someone out there who thinks the race or the championship was fixed, no matter who won it.

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: